laura1814

View History: more than ten?

In an older version of TMG we were allowed to set the View History to be more than 10 people.

In an even older version, we were allowed to work around the limitation of the viewhist to ten people by adding a subdirectory and a line in a configuration file. (See Lee's TMG Tips site, http://www.tmgtips.com/viewhist.htm ).

Is there a command I can add to the current configuration files that will allow me to increase the length of the View History to (at least) 20? I wish I had a nickel for every time I have wished to be able to go back to #12 or 16 on the list, and had to resort to the picklist! I really hate this loss of functionality! I know that in the Olden Days, one of the reasons given against a long viewhist was system performance, but I think that's now moot, at least for my system.

Please, please tell me it's as simple as adding something like "viewhist=20" to app.ini!

Is there anyplace I can get a list of configuration options available by editing app.ini directly?

Thanks!

Laura Wallace

In an older version of TMG we were allowed to set the View History to be more than 10 people.

In an even older version, we were allowed to work around the limitation of the viewhist to ten people by adding a subdirectory and a line in a configuration file. (See Lee's TMG Tips site, http://www.tmgtips.com/viewhist.htm ).

Is there a command I can add to the current configuration files that will allow me to increase the length of the View History to (at least) 20? I wish I had a nickel for every time I have wished to be able to go back to #12 or 16 on the list, and had to resort to the picklist! I really hate this loss of functionality! I know that in the Olden Days, one of the reasons given against a long viewhist was system performance, but I think that's now moot, at least for my system.

Please, please tell me it's as simple as adding something like "viewhist=20" to app.ini!

Is there anyplace I can get a list of configuration options available by editing app.ini directly?

Thanks!

Laura Wallace

There is no such option for view history available in TMG 5/6 (I would like to see one also)

No list of configuration options has been made public as far as I know...

Thanks for you response! I didn't think there was a set of configuration options anywhere online, but was hoping!

Now what I'm hoping is that there is a set of undocumented configuration options (most likely editing app.ini), but no one's made it public yet. Or that there is a set of rules somewhere that will tell me what sorts of modifcations are possible in app.ini (or config.fpw) so that I can fiddle with them myself. I used to be pretty good at fudging undocumented options in config.ini files, but haven't done it in a while and don't know how app.ini files may differ.

Is there a command I can add to the current configuration files that will allow me to increase the length of the View History to (at least) 20?

No. The list length is set to 10 as far as I can see.

App.ini is not intended to be directly edited by the user. All changes to settings should be made through Preferences.

The only app.ini settings that need to be edited directly are entries for [ExternalUtilities] as explained in Help and that needs to be fixed so that direct editing of app.ini is not required.

No. The list length is set to 10 as far as I can see.

Why?

I have been working in my project today and have wished to go beyond 10 at least five times.

App.ini is not intended to be directly edited by the user.

Not even by geeks? Why not? Intended by whom? Who makes this decision?

All changes to settings should be made through Preferences.

Great-- so how do I add this option to Preferences so that I can change it? ;)

Edited by laura1814

Laura,

Have you tried a Focus Group? It won't take you to the screen for details, tree or family, but it will take you to the person, and you can add as many as you want and remove them any time you want.

Also you might want to try the bookmark manager. It works great for this too.

Laura,

Have you tried a Focus Group? It won't take you to the screen for details, tree or family, but it will take you to the person, and you can add as many as you want and remove them any time you want.

Also you might want to try the bookmark manager. It works great for this too.

Yes, I use both of those features, but they are tedious and therefore not worth the effort when I am doing large globs of data entry. (That's a technical term, globs.) What I want is a longer View History!

I too would LOVE to be able to have more than 10...20 would be a good number. 10 isn't enough if you start jumping back and forth between siblings, etc. and then want to get back to the main people you were focused on.

Siobhan

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was a weirdo! (Well, I am a weirdo, but that's another essay.)

I've been working on my project for less than half an hour so far today and I've already wished to go past ten three times.

System performance isn't really an issue any more for most people, so why can't we have this functionality back? If there's no geek workaround, I'd like to put this on the official Wish List, please! But a geek workaround is fine, so long as it's functional. I'm still crossing my fingers that such a thing exists, and all I am asking for is info, not pages of software code modification. It seems like such a little thing!

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was a weirdo! (Well, I am a weirdo, but that's another essay.)

I've been working on my project for less than half an hour so far today and I've already wished to go past ten three times.

System performance isn't really an issue any more for most people, so why can't we have this functionality back? If there's no geek workaround, I'd like to put this on the official Wish List, please! But a geek workaround is fine, so long as it's functional. I'm still crossing my fingers that such a thing exists, and all I am asking for is info, not pages of software code modification. It seems like such a little thing!

Can't bookmarks also be used- that would give 20 right?

Yes, it would, and thank you for the suggestion.

But I use my bookmarks for other purposes, for people I go back to again and again over time. I want to be able to go back to more than ten MRU people--automatically, without setting something on each person I view. Not only would it be tedious to set a book mark (or add a person to a focus group) for every person I look at (not knowing if I'll want to go back to them), but that would use up bookmarks, so that I wouldn't be able to use them anymore for people that I know I'll go back to at some future date.

Edited by laura1814

I would like to see a user definable amount too, that way it is entirely customisable depending on your set up and preference.

Ben

:sad: For what it's worth, I'm afraid I have to agree with Laura here. I found myself tripping over the 10 limit several times over the past few days.

Would this be a difficult thing to "re-incorporate" back into the application in the future?

Yes, it would, and thank you for the suggestion.

But I use my bookmarks for other purposes, for people I go back to again and again over time. I want to be able to go back to more than ten MRU people--automatically, without setting something on each person I view. Not only would it be tedious to set a book mark (or add a person to a focus group) for every person I look at (not knowing if I'll want to go back to them), but that would use up bookmarks, so that I wouldn't be able to use them anymore for people that I know I'll go back to at some future date.

I totally agree, please restore a user defined number of people for the view history window. If you can't, set the number at 20-24. Ten is never enough.

TMG v.5 and 6 were four steps forward and 3 steps backwards from TMG v.4. The sqz backup file size increased by an order of magnitude for the exact same user data. The TMG program became unstable with less than 512 megs of RAM and too slow with less than 2 mhz clock speed.

On the bright side, stability was improved from TMG 5 to TMG 6. TMG 5 seemed to corrupt your entire database if anything went wrong. Thankfully, there have been no corrupted databases from using TMG 6.

Also, please consider restoring b/m/d dates to the Tree View, they were extremely helpful in TMG v.4 for data checking and just plain fun to see.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

I was sort of bypassing this thread as it didn't seem to apply to me ... until yesterday. Each of us has our own way of doing things and I was just chugging along with "my way." For some reason, I noticed that I was slowly creeping out of the 10 limit when I was working on one of my families. This morning I tried to see just how far past the magic "10" I was going. It ends up that I hit 14 with at least two more to add. Like I said, I know there are other ways to accomplish what I am doing, but it would be nice to be able to select a number and go from there -- perhaps 10, 15, 20, 25.

Along these lines, I have often wanted to "clear" the history and have it start clean. This would be useful when changing family lines, especially if they lived in a different locale. So for me, I would like a user-defineable number with a "Clear all" feature added to it.

Tom and Laura,

Let me say I am not against the idea. I would use it if I had it, just wanted to be sure Laura knew there were other ways to list people in TMG that might work better for her. Didn't want you to think I was against the proposal. <G>

Teresa,

Like you, I would use it if I had it. I have no idea how hard it would be to implement. There are other changes I would put ahead of it if it was difficult or time-consuming to do. On the other hand, I would rather have this feature enhancement over a Sponge Bob Square Pants icon to replace the current Image icon. :rolleyes:

Well now, we know what I watch on TV! :thumbsup::wacko:

Tom,

First find a sponge bob image you really like. Download it to your computer. Save it to PROGRAM FILES>THE MASTER GENEALOGIST>GRAPHIS>TMG5.ICO

Then your spong bob should be your new icon. The image needs to be 16x16

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Oh my!!! I was joking around about Spongebob (can't leave out Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Gary, Squidward, Sandy and the rest) and now I've got directions on how to integrate them into TMG. :thumbsup: Just one more example of how flexible TMG really is. Thanks for the directions, Teresa, but I think I'll leave Spongebob in the shower for now. :whistling:

Tom,

First find a sponge bob image you really like. Download it to your computer. Save it to PROGRAM FILES>THE MASTER GENEALOGIST>GRAPHIS>TMG5.ICO

Then your spong bob should be your new icon. The image needs to be 16x16

I couldn't resist :naughty:spongebob.ico

Edited by ggilbert1

Oh, no! Spongebob hijacked my thread! :-D

Sorry Laura. Patrick and I will speak to Sponge Bob about it first thing in the morning. :thumbsup: