Board Organization

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 laura1814

laura1814

Happy TMG user since v.96d

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, law, opera, pre-Romantic fortepiano sonatas, British history, British peerage, English Regency period, pre-Victorian English literature, ballroom dancing, sewing, philosophy, choral music, theology, needlework. . .

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

Howdy. I would like to suggest topically organized subforums for the forum currently located at:

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6

These might include topics such as:

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Error and Bug Reports: Is this a Bug?

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Data Entry, Navigation, etc.

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Reports

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Styles

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Exhibits, Research Log, and everything else on the Tools Menu

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Importing, Exporting, Project Management, Preferences, and everything else on the File Menu

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Wish List

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Genealogical Sources and Methods (possibly pointing to another forum elsewhere; suggesting because there are extant posts that belong in such a category)

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Tips and Hints (currently located elsewhere: either move it here or put a pointer here to the current location)

The current system, putting everything in one basket, makes it difficult to browse and to find things. This offends my little librarian's soul. <_< I think people would use the system more if it were easier to browse. I think that organizing it loosely based on the menus in TMG would be helpful.

AFTER POSTING THIS, I found the "FAQ" subforum located at

Wholly Genes Community > News and Information > Frequently Asked Questions

Perhaps some cross-referencing is in order here? Why is the FAQ section there instead of in Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 ?

Edited by laura1814, 26 July 2006 - 04:41 PM.

Laura Wallace

#2 The Oakster

The Oakster

Current Project Size - 1795 people

• Senior Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:OAKLEY, HART and PECK from Suffolk
    HALL from Norfolk

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

I agree laura. Mostly...

I think that styles and reports could be heaped together, and I think sources and methods is more of a 'how to do' genealogy topic than a TMG support topic, so this would be covered in the tips and hints

Also multi sub-forums would require a higher level of moderating to ensure that people's post were put in the right forums.

There are reasons for not adding more sub forums. Ending up with a site that would be a nightmare to find things in and having to navigate between many sub-forums would be just as awkward.

As for the FAQ, I think that this is a much neglected area especially as TMG has a steep learning curve. There are questions that are being asked over and over again that could be added that havent been. Things could be added from TMG-L too, it wouldn't have to be made up of things that are asked here.

Well thats my two-penneth anyway...

Ben

Also a lot of people use TMG-L that has a much quicker time between asking and receiving help.

|| TMG Version 8.08 || Gold UK Edition || Windows 7 || Google Chrome || Second Site 5.0.9 ||

Follow me on Twitter

My Genealogy Website

--------------------

#3 MMj

MMj
  • Senior Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:A relative newcomer to the world of genealogy, but greatly interested in a number of old Southern Maryland families, especially Turner, Wise, Sasscer, Gibbons, Medley and Dent

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

I agree, Ben. Especially about the FAC page. I've only been around for a couple of months now, but I believe that nearly every point I have raised has been in the area of something that has already been discussed before. A well-organized FAC page can cut WAY down on repetitive questions and comments in the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users