laura1814

Board Organization

Howdy. I would like to suggest topically organized subforums for the forum currently located at:

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6

These might include topics such as:

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Error and Bug Reports: Is this a Bug?

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Data Entry, Navigation, etc.

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Reports

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Styles

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Exhibits, Research Log, and everything else on the Tools Menu

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Importing, Exporting, Project Management, Preferences, and everything else on the File Menu

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Wish List

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Genealogical Sources and Methods (possibly pointing to another forum elsewhere; suggesting because there are extant posts that belong in such a category)

Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 > Tips and Hints (currently located elsewhere: either move it here or put a pointer here to the current location)

The current system, putting everything in one basket, makes it difficult to browse and to find things. This offends my little librarian's soul. <_< I think people would use the system more if it were easier to browse. I think that organizing it loosely based on the menus in TMG would be helpful.

AFTER POSTING THIS, I found the "FAQ" subforum located at

Wholly Genes Community > News and Information > Frequently Asked Questions

Perhaps some cross-referencing is in order here? Why is the FAQ section there instead of in Wholly Genes Community > Support forums > The Master Genealogist v6 ?

Edited by laura1814

I agree laura. Mostly...

I think that styles and reports could be heaped together, and I think sources and methods is more of a 'how to do' genealogy topic than a TMG support topic, so this would be covered in the tips and hints

Also multi sub-forums would require a higher level of moderating to ensure that people's post were put in the right forums.

There are reasons for not adding more sub forums. Ending up with a site that would be a nightmare to find things in and having to navigate between many sub-forums would be just as awkward.

As for the FAQ, I think that this is a much neglected area especially as TMG has a steep learning curve. There are questions that are being asked over and over again that could be added that havent been. Things could be added from TMG-L too, it wouldn't have to be made up of things that are asked here.

Well thats my two-penneth anyway...

Ben

Also a lot of people use TMG-L that has a much quicker time between asking and receiving help.

I agree, Ben. Especially about the FAC page. I've only been around for a couple of months now, but I believe that nearly every point I have raised has been in the area of something that has already been discussed before. A well-organized FAC page can cut WAY down on repetitive questions and comments in the forums.