MMj

PDA Devices

I have been contemplating buying a PDA to carry around with me so that I don't have to lug my 9 lb. laptop everywhere I go. Since I know virtually nothing about such devices, I've been reading everything I can find here about Pocket Genealogist and GedStar PRO, and about PalmOS devices and Windows devices in an attempt to understand the positives and negatives of each. My intention is to use the device mostly for reference and a bit of note-taking, not so much for data input. I also have a wireless home network at my home with internet connectivity, so it would be nice if the PDA can access it easily.

The Palm device that I have looked at is the LifeDrive Mobile Manager. In the Pocket PC arena, the only one that I have actually had my hands on is a Dell Axim X51v, but I understand that there is a VERY wide selection range available for these.

What things should I consider in making a choice?

Are there any factors that might make me choose GedStar PRO over Pocket Genealogist, or vice versa? Is one easier to use, more functional or more stable than the other?

Are there any factors that might make me choose a Palm device over a Windows device?

Processing speed is a consideration, especially since I will undoubtedly do a great deal of filtering and searching.

Simplicity and ease of use and operation of both the device and the OS is a large consideration, especially if you were to ask my wife.

The clearer and brighter the display the better, as my eyes are ageing fast.

The 4 gig onboard memory in the Palm LifeDrive is attractive.

If it should turn out that I should purchase a Windows device rather than a Palm, are there any particular makes and models that I should especially look at. Here I would be interested not only in power and features, but also in dependabiility, maintenance, and the life expectancy of the device.

Any advice from anyone who has experience with these devices would be greatly appreciated.

You'll find two different opinions on this and each will swear by their OS. The truth is that either one will fill your needs perfectly. If you decide on Palm I think you would be satisfied with the Palm TX over the lifedrive. The TX is thinner than the Lifedrive and does everything you ask without the bulk. Combined with GedStar Pro you can have access to all the information you have on everyone in your database. The TX also has integrated Wi-Fi so you can check your email or use the web. While email is fine, I question the usefullness of browsing the web with the limited screen of a handheld, however it does work.

A few weeks ago I was in a hotel and just for kicks clicked to check my email and it hooked right up and downloaded my emails. . . nice!

One thing I highly recommend is a portable keyboard. They fold up to a size not much larger than the handheld itself and expand to a full size keyboard.

Whichever way you go I think you'll find that your handheld combined with a keyboard will fill your needs and eliminate your need to take your laptop with you on research trips.

I agree with Norb that you'll find two different opinions on this and each will swear by their OS and that either one will fill your needs perfectly. I have a Palm LifeDrive with GedStar PRO and I am entirely happy with it. I always carry it with me for looking up the persons and data in my genealogy data base (including pictures, tasks, references,...). As fa as the TX is concerned, I think it is comparable with the LifeDrive for genealogical purposes. You will never need the 4 GB for this. A 1 GB (or even smaller) SD cart will do the job. The LifeDrive, on the other hand, looks and feels somewhat more solid, but has the advantage of being slower when accessing (not processing) data as the hard Drive has to be accessed each time. For me this is no problem, but many people report getting crazy by this lag.

It must however be said there are rumours that also Palm will finally abandon the Palm OS in favour of windows CE. Of course, this might happen in the far future and as you know "In the end we're all dead". I stick to my Palm for the time being.

Dirk

I second the comments about the two opinions. I would also suggest that the software packages to display your TMG database might not be that important if you are willing to have your TMG data as read-only on your handheld. I prefer to use SecondSite to create web pages of my data, then download the webpages to the handheld using whatever program is appropriate to that OS (e.g. iSilo). I find the convenience of the hypertext links in the web pages to be very convenient, and with the options of SecondSite I can create a set of web pages on the fly before heading off to the library that focuses on the research of the day. I then just take notes from the research and use TMG back home to do the real data entry.

Michael

My thanks to everyone for the candid comments. That is one of the things that I have found to be so wonderful about the forum here. After years of sniffing around photography forums, which I must admit have been unmoderated, I have grown so weary of all of the hate and discontent that goes on there. I've only been a member here for a few weeks, but I've already been really impressed with the courteous behavior and helpful attitudes that I've seen here.

I hope to get out to a couple of my local stores tomorrow morning to look at several PDAs. Locally, most places have several Palm models. Windows models are a little harder to find. In fact, what I am starting to find is that most places around me here in Maryland don't stock a lot of either. A couple of the salesmen have told me that sales have been very sluggish, especially in the higher end models. They say it is because they are fairly expensive and are having trouble competing with the breed of smart-phones that are out on the market now.

I will take all of your comments into consideration while I am out looking.