Hi, I have tried to transfer VCF to a disc so I can send a chart to rellies in other parts of the globe. When I try to open it from my wife's PC it tries to open, but then closes immediately. 1. Have I left a file somewhere? 2. how do I load the chart when it does open? Forgive me for being dumbjava script:add_smilie(":blush:","smid_22"), but we all gotta start somewhere!

mikew

blush.gif

Hi, I have tried to transfer VCF to a disc so I can send a chart to rellies in other parts of the globe. When I try to open it from my wife's PC it tries to open, but then closes immediately. 1. Have I left a file somewhere? 2. how do I load the chart when it does open? Forgive me for being dumbjava script:add_smilie(":blush:","smid_22"), but we all gotta start somewhere!

mikew

blush.gif

Try "printing" to the Wholly Genes PDF writer. It appears that this "virtual printer" might generate a pdf file for you with a "virtual" sheet size of up to 36x108 inches @ up to 600 dpi. (might work at 1200 dpi?, but 600dpi is more universal, and 300 dpi will create a smaller file for just emailing and viewing.) Please go into Control Panel>>Printers and faxes to set up the pdf writer before generating the chart from VCF.

I think you can 'export' a VFC chart to .jpg ... just checked, yes :yes: on the File Menu > Export you have the choice of .jpg, .bmp, and .emf

thanks gilbert and john, that gives me a workaround, but can I actually download VCF programme to a CD and then send the CD with appropriate charts to relatives in Africa where they are still using valve radios and steam-generated computers!? Download time for my brother is measured in hours rather than seconds.

regards, mikew

...but can I actually download VCF programme to a CD and then send the CD with appropriate charts to relatives...

First, that's a violation of your license agreement.

Second, even if it weren't, you can't copy complex programs and expect them to work. There is a lot more to the program other than the VCF.exe file. The installation procedure is required to put all parts of the program in place in order to run it.

Second Site (SS) is a useful tool for creating CDs to send to relatives. You can create charts, either using the native SS-facilities or by importing VCF charts. Either way, the charts are linked to narratives, so clicking on a chart item opens a page with the events of the person clicked. The SS output is HTML, like a web site, and so you don't need to include a program to view the data: every computer today has some browser on it, and most have a good browser, even in other parts of the Globe where the computers are steam-powered!