wghayes

placemap puts backslashes in the URL

I recently found the place map feature, and have added the Window Live Local cumulative upgrade. However, using my default browser (Firefox), the URL is improperly entered with backslashes. An example is:

http://\\www.mapquest.com\maps\map.adp/?latlongtype=degrees& latdeg=34&latmin=14&latsec=30&longdeg=-81&longmin=14&longsec=24

This occurs whether I chose Mapquest, Google Maps or Windows Live, and whether I am looking for a place name or map coordinates. I looked at the placemap.ini file and there are no backslashes in the URLs. I assume the problem is in sending the URL to Firefox. From past experience, I suspect that the same error in the URL occurs with Internet Explorer, but IE is more forgiving and shows the web page anyway.

Does this affect other users? Does anyone have a work-around other than manually correcting the URL?

— Bill Hayes

Edited by wghayes

There is a setting in TMG Preferences that affects this, depending on the browser you are using. You can change the setting in:

Preferences > Program Options > Other>

Send URLs to browser with backslashes

Virginia

That did the trick! Thanks. I wonder why that "Send URLs with backslashes" was checked.

Regarding my post – My description ended up in the title of my post. I will correct that so others can find it easily with a search.

— Bill Hayes