Kwykoff

Trip to Salt Lake City

I hope this isn't considered off topic, but I have a chance to spend 4-5 days at the Family History Library in SLC at the end of this month. I'm trying to organize and think through what I need to do, but I feel overwhelmed already! I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from anyone who has researched there. Thanks, Kaye

Hello,

I dont know about the actual place or how it works etc but this Whollygenes topic could be a good source of things to take:

Click Here

Ben

Hi Kaye,

I've never been there either -- I live too far away, so use my local LDS Center. I totally agree with Ben -- check out the link he provided. You obviously don't need everything listed in that thread, but you can get some really great ideas and make yourself a much shorter list.

As for what to do when you get there, wel-l-l-l-l, once you finish drooling :D , I would think you would approach it much like a local LDS Center. Ask questions to the "helpers" there ... I have always received wonderful help from every LDS Center I've been to. How do I use the computer which has many databases on it? How do I use the printer setup? How do I use the "readers?" How do I make copies? Where do I find this? Where do I find that? Do you have this? Can I do this? These are all good questions and I'm sure the "helpers" will respond as well as they can. I try not to disturb other patrons, BUT I've ALWAYS found patrons willing to help out! I've met little, old Ladies that seemed to know everything about everybody on the planet. HA HA HA HA By the start of the second day you will probably have a much better feel of things and be able to get right to it. Maybe someday I'll be as fortunate as you and actually get to visit the BIG Family History Library. :)

I'd also try and have a list of tasks based on the films that they have. Go to www.familysearch.org and search for your area of interest, and you will get a list of films that you can search for that area. Then using TMG you can make a list of people to look for on that roll of film. IF you don't already have it, let me recommend GENSMARTS to use with TMG. You can use custom records in GENSMARTS to make a list of people that would be found on a certain roll of film. THis can save you a lot of time, if you have several family lines from the same area.

I hope this isn't considered off topic, but I have a chance to spend 4-5 days at the Family History Library in SLC at the end of this month. I'm trying to organize and think through what I need to do, but I feel overwhelmed already! I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from anyone who has researched there. Thanks, Kaye

I hope this arrives before you head for SLC.

Our schedule for most days we have been there was to be in the line-up first thing in the morning, and be working there when they shut up at night, but take a few hours off during the day to do sight-seeing around SLC. Take tours of the temple grounds, the conference center, the government buidings, the Beehive house, the museum just opposite the FHL, etc. And just wander the city. There are also lectures usually scheduled each day. The LDS facilities usually have lots of people willing to help you or explain the area. One thing we noticed is the lack of anywhere to pay for or make a donation for all the facilities provided by the LDS church, except for supplies in the FHL.

At least when we were there, you could get tickets at the main FHL desk to allow you to have lunch in the LDS office tower. The prices there are very reasonable.

I hope this isn't too late...

Drink plenty of water before you go (and while there) to avoid altitude sickness. It's not that high up, but if you're not well hydrated you can get disoriented and muddle-headed starting on the 2nd day or so. I didn't know this is what kept happening to me in SLC until I went to Wyoming and got a really bad case of it.

Remember to take breaks.

You can request a tray at the window, with extra take-up reels. This way you can pull multiple rolls at one time and reduce the amount of back and forthing you'll be doing.

You now have the ability to make digital copies. I heard someone recommend taking a removable harddrive to use -- plugs right into the USB port and off you go. :ph34r:

If you forget to take breaks (one of my weaknesses), there are some snack machines on the ground floor. You won't find caffeinated sodas in Church owned buildings, as far as I've seen (that includes hotels). If you want caffeine for an extra 'boost' to maximize library time, then take some tablets with you.

Hope this helps. Best wishes! :D

So, how was the trip? I wish I had seen your posting before you left. I would have written a book of tips for you. :) Are you ready to go back again: as soon as possible? I'll be going again in just over two months. HOORAY!

BJH