The bookmark feature is great but I would love the way to save a set of bookmarks similar to the way we can save Focus Groups now.

I am working on a line that is very hard to research. I'd like to create a bookmark set for each county group, so when I am in that county, I could easily move around and have a list of people who were in that county. I can add them, but when I change counties, I have to delete the old ones, and I really don't want to do that.

I completely agree that more flexibility is desirable and needed with the bookmarks.

Teresa's counties are my "households." I'm working on a project very similar to a "procession" where I need to work on groups of people by household. With that in mind, I would like to create a bookmark set for each "household group" so that I can easily move back and forth among the families.

Seems to me that you're asking for a function that you already have.

Why don't you use the Focus Group? It's designed to do exactly this. Navigation using a Focus Group is just as fast as using a bookmark. You can sort the list in the Focus Group various ways. Create a layout which includes the Focus Group. Save each of your groups so that you can recall them.

Jim,

Well, the thing is this...

Let's say I am working on the 1850 census. I am working on my Marcums (with as many spelllings as you can imagine) in about 5 counties. I am on the 1850 Rutherford County census, and realize that next to a Marcum is my ancestor John Edward' grandson. Here is how I can move from many different types of people at once.

I use the PE linked to other windows so if I find people who I aren't in the Marcum family or a direct ancestor. The grandson would be found on the PE.

I have the Focus group with my ancestors in the list.

Then I would like to have the Marcums in the book marks. I guess I could change the Marcums to the focus group, and the bookmarks to the ancestors, but I would still like a way to save the people in a group of book marks no matter who is in the group.

Jim,

Is there a way to copy a large group of people to the bookmark manager? If so, I could put my ancestors there.

..Why don't you use the Focus Group? It's designed to do exactly this... You can sort the list in the Focus Group various ways.

but not by birth or death date, which would be fantastic to have.

And thanks Teresa for making me relook at bookmark manager, I thought it was still limited to 20, which occasionally made me grumble, (or focus rather more on finishing one lot before getting sidetracked)

I'd be just as happy to have a true "back" trail through the Last Person Viewed (instead of just the last one). 90% of the time when I'm futtering around with the bookmarks, it's because I'm trying to rethread my way to my main subject after falling down a rabbit hole. Would be nice to just be able to Back-back-back, OK, here I am again.

The other 10% of the time I'm using the bookmarks to change family lines for whatever reason, and I have those set up accordingly.

I'd be just as happy to have a true "back" trail through the Last Person Viewed (instead of just the last one). 90% of the time when I'm futtering around with the bookmarks, it's because I'm trying to rethread my way to my main subject after falling down a rabbit hole. Would be nice to just be able to Back-back-back, OK, here I am again.

Ah-h-h-h, yes. If life could be so easy.

Scenario:

Start with John Spudmaster; add spouse, Milly Hinklebottom.

Add child 1, Priscilla

Add child 2, Jethro

Add child 3, Petunia

Find that Petunia married; add spouse, Reginald Rottenguy.

Add Reginald's parents; add father, Jan Rottenguy; add mother, Beuhla Pearltooth.

Add Reginald's siblings; 2 brothers & 3 sisters, plus 3 spouses and some children.

OK, now back to pick up where I was when I got sidetracked. Hm-m-m-m, my ol' brain doesn't have a clue who I was working on. The good news is that the journey with Jan Rottenguy and Beuhla Pearltooth was real interesting. It seems that Mr. Rottenguy was always mad because folks would joke about his given name, Jan, and tell him he was a girl.

At any rate, a back-back-back feature would sure be nice.

Please add me to that want list.

Ah-h-h-h, yes. If life could be so easy.

Scenario:

Start with John Spudmaster; add spouse, Milly Hinklebottom.

Add child 1, Priscilla

Exactly. :D I do that often. And then I really irritate myself beause in this respect, for some reason, I expect TMG to respond like a browser; so I intuitively click my fourth mouse button (which I have hardcoded to Back) and then get annoyed when it doesn't work. Oh, yes. This doesn't work here, I have to use the bookmarks. grumblegrumblegrouse.

I don't know *why* I expect it to behave like a browser, since I've been using it for almost 10 years now. Nevertheless, I do.

D-