Kwykoff

Printing Memos in FGS

I'm trying to print FGSs with the memos included as endnotes. Most of the memos are not associated with a source but a Note tag instead. Could this be the problem? I've tried changing all the settings in the report options window to no avail. Can someone help? Thanks, Kaye

From the FGS and ID report perspectives, there are two kinds of memos... those used by sentences and those not used by sentences. You typically want those used by sentences (such as an occupation) to print in the FGS report itself. This is enabled by selecting the 'Embed sentence [M]emo' option on the Miscellaneous tab. I personally would want this data in the report rather than in the citations. So I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

From the FGS and ID report perspectives, there are two kinds of memos... those used by sentences and those not used by sentences. You typically want those used by sentences (such as an occupation) to print in the FGS report itself. This is enabled by selecting the 'Embed sentence [M]emo' option on the Miscellaneous tab. I personally would want this data in the report rather than in the citations. So I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks for your reply Jim. I really don't know what I'm doing. I keep referring to Terry's book and to the manual, but I'm stumped. I'm going to Salt Lake City FHL next week and I'm trying to get reports with as much detail as possible on them. I do want the memos in the report rather than in endnotes or with the citations. Occupation tag is a good example as I have a memo there and nothing shows up on the FGS even though I've chosen that ALL tags be included in the report. There are several places to put memos--tag entry screen, citation screen, add witness screen, etc. and I'm not sure which memo show up where used.

I've been experimenting with putting the info in different memo screens and seeing what shows up and what doesn't--and where it shows. I've really had more luck getting the memos to show in the Indiv Detail report--in the endnotes. I've also been experimenting with changing the options. When I imported my info from Generations, my Misc Notes field went into a Note tag memo. Those show up nowhere when I do FGS or ID. So I've started adding a History tag, putting my note info into the memo field in the History tag and I cite the memo. Those memos will show up in the ID report.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaye

Have you tried the option on the Memo tab in the FGS and ID reports for Embedded or Embedded with parentheses? This will include tag memos in the FGS and ID reports. You can also change the memo font in those reports if you want to set off the memo from the tag details.

Virginia

Thanks for your reply Jim. I really don't know what I'm doing. I keep referring to Terry's book and to the manual, but I'm stumped. I'm going to Salt Lake City FHL next week and I'm trying to get reports with as much detail as possible on them. . . . . . Kaye

This is probably unrelated to missing memo problem, but there have been reports in the past of erratic printing of FGS graphics due to printer resolution mismatch. If you are printing direct from TMG, try setting the printer resolution to 600 dpi or less.

Jim, I'm still having touble. I have a memo in the memo section of the Son-Bio tag that says something about the uncertainty of which wife is the child's mother. After following your instructions above, the memo now prints in the FGS but not the ID. I have set options for both as follows: Memo tab--"embedded", and Misc tab--"Embed sentence Memo". Problem is that I need the History Tag memo to print also and it seems to only print in the ID report. And there, the tag memo doesn't print. I'd like both to print on one or the other report. I have 'All' tags and 'All events and witnessed events' checked in the Tags tab for both reports.

Am I asking for something not available?

Thanks,

Kaye

Jim, I'm still having touble. I have a memo in the memo section of the Son-Bio tag that says something about the uncertainty of which wife is the child's mother. After following your instructions above, the memo now prints in the FGS but not the ID. I have set options for both as follows: Memo tab--"embedded", and Misc tab--"Embed sentence Memo". Problem is that I need the History Tag memo to print also and it seems to only print in the ID report. And there, the tag memo doesn't print. I'd like both to print on one or the other report. I have 'All' tags and 'All events and witnessed events' checked in the Tags tab for both reports.

Am I asking for something not available?

Thanks,

Kaye

In the ID report options on the Memos Tab, do you have 'Include relationship memos checked' ?

Virginia