Jim M.

Importing: Did I miss something?

TMG 6 seems to be able to import from lots of applications... except for... ITSELF.

Or did I miss something?

What's the best way to send data from your TMG 6 to someone who also has TMG 6?

:blink:

TMG 6 seems to be able to import from lots of applications... except for... ITSELF.

Or did I miss something?

What's the best way to send data from your TMG 6 to someone who also has TMG 6?

:blink:

You do a backup and send the .sqz file. The recipient restores the backup. The recipient must have an equal or later version of TMG than the version used to make the backup...

Tried that...

When I try to restore a file I received, I get "Input file read failure. The error occurs when a file operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process." Assuming the file isn't corrupt... is there a fix? I've run Reindex/Optimize/Validate File Integrity... :blink:

Tried that...

When I try to restore a file I received, I get "Input file read failure. The error occurs when a file operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process." Assuming the file isn't corrupt... is there a fix? I've run Reindex/Optimize/Validate File Integrity... :blink:

Are trying to do the restore on a Wondows 2000 system? Take a copy of the SQZ and rename the extension to ZIP and then use Winzip or WinRAR or Pkzip to extract the files into a new suitably located folder for the restored project. Then File > Open Project and navigate to that folder and select the project that is found there. (The tool for extracting files in TMG (a 3rd party component) sometimes gives the error that you have experienced.

I, too, am finding it impossible to import a TMG sqz file sent to me by another person. When I check the help file, it clearly states that only files from tmg 4.0 or earlier can be imported. I tried to import anyway, and was able to select the file, and lots of activity happens, but then it stops, stuck at step 2. When I say, it stops, I mean I waited 5 mintues for something else to happen, but nothing did. And no cpu activity.

What's up?

Ken

I, too, am finding it impossible to import a TMG sqz file sent to me by another person. When I check the help file, it clearly states that only files from tmg 4.0 or earlier can be imported. I tried to import anyway...

Help is right - you can't Import a TMG 5 or 6 backup. You Restore a backup. :)

Still working on trying to import a TMG sqz file sent to me by my nephew. I have successfully restored it to a new project, so it's not a file format problem, apparently.

Now, I[m trying to import it into a dataset within my project. Again, according to the wizard, only TMG files from versions 4 and earlier can be imported, and also, it wants files whose extension is TMG. There are no such files in the restored project.

This has GOT to be simpler than it's looking. What am I missing?

Ken

I, too, am finding it impossible to import a TMG sqz file sent to me by another person. When I check the help file, it clearly states that only files from tmg 4.0 or earlier can be imported. I tried to import anyway, and was able to select the file, and lots of activity happens, but then it stops, stuck at step 2. When I say, it stops, I mean I waited 5 mintues for something else to happen, but nothing did. And no cpu activity.

What's up?

Ken

Still working on trying to import a TMG sqz file sent to me by my nephew. I have successfully restored it to a new project, so it's not a file format problem, apparently.

Now, I[m trying to import it into a dataset within my project. Again, according to the wizard, only TMG files from versions 4 and earlier can be imported, and also, it wants files whose extension is TMG. There are no such files in the restored project.

This has GOT to be simpler than it's looking. What am I missing?

Ken

You're trying to "import" the new project into your existing project? You don't "import" ... you "merge" projects (from the File Menu). This will merge the new project as a separate data set within your existing project (your new project will still exist as a separate project and you may want delete it at a later date). Then in you existing project if you want to combine the two data sets you "merge" the data sets from the File>Data Set Manager Menu.

You might want to read Terry's articles on Projects, Data Sets, and Merging at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

Thanks! I have read and reread the the TMG help file on merge projects, and it really isn't clear ( to me at least ) that that's what it's doing. Thanks for the clarification.

You're trying to "import" the new project into your existing project? You don't "import" ... you "merge" projects (from the File Menu). This will merge the new project as a separate data set within your existing project (your new project will still exist as a separate project and you may want delete it at a later date). Then in you existing project if you want to combine the two data sets you "merge" the data sets from the File>Data Set Manager Menu.

You might want to read Terry's articles on Projects, Data Sets, and Merging at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/