NewmanLofland

IT WORKS! (Roots4 file import?)

Recently purchased TMG Gold v6 and have a question about importing files from Roots4.

Roots4 program is on an old computer that's not running. I copied the entire Roots4 directory from the old hard disc to a CD.

What files do I import to TMG?

Can I import directly from the Roots4 directory on the CD or do I need to install Roots4 on my XP machine, get Roots4 running and do a file export?

TIA

Edited by NewmanLofland

Recently purchased TMG Gold v6 and have a question about importing files from Roots4.

Roots4 program is on an old computer that's not running. I copied the entire Roots4 directory from the old hard disc to a CD.

Can I import directly from the Roots4 directory on the CD or do I need to install Roots4 on my XP machine, get Roots4 running and do a file export?

TIA

The TMG Import Wizard (File > Import) lists Roots IV (*.PRO) and Roots IV Backup (*.SQZ). If you have all the files, you might try the *.PRO.

Virginia

TIA

Providing you copies everything in the Roots4 directory including all library files you can import directly by selecting RootsIV Project in the Import Wizard and selecting the .pro file for the project. It will point to all of the proper library files for import. Alternatively if you have a backup that contains all of the libraries you can select RootsIV Backup and select the backup file (.sqz). You will want to use the Advanced Wizard to do the import.

You also might want to read an article which I wrote on transferring from UFT to TMG. It applies to Roots IV also. You can download area of the RUG User Group at http://www.rootsusers.org/

Be prepare to do the import a few times to check which options in the Import Wizard work best for you.

Thank you for your guidance.

I have both a copy of the original RootsIV directory on a CD and a complete backup on 3.5" floppies. I copied the entire RootsIV directory to a folder on the XP machine then tried to import using both Wizards.

After locating the appropriate .PRO file in the PROJECTS subdirectory I get an error message saying TMG "Cannot find event library 'X_ELBOOK'". There is no file named "X_ELBOOK" in the Projects subdirectory. There ARE three X_ELBOOK files located in the Library subdirectory but none of them are .PRO files. One is .CDX, one is .DBF and one is .FPT. Do I nned to change the extension on one of these to .PRO to make it work?

I'm at a loss at what to do next. Anybody been here before?

Thanks

Thank you for your guidance.

I have both a copy of the original RootsIV directory on a CD and a complete backup on 3.5" floppies. I copied the entire RootsIV directory to a folder on the XP machine then tried to import using both Wizards.

After locating the appropriate .PRO file in the PROJECTS subdirectory I get an error message saying TMG "Cannot find event library 'X_ELBOOK'". There is no file named "X_ELBOOK" in the Projects subdirectory. There ARE three X_ELBOOK files located in the Library subdirectory but none of them are .PRO files. One is .CDX, one is .DBF and one is .FPT. Do I nned to change the extension on one of these to .PRO to make it work?

I'm at a loss at what to do next. Anybody been here before?

Thanks

No, do not change one of X_ELBOOK files to a .PRO file. There is only one .PRO file for a project and it is located in the Projects folder. You have the correct X_ELBOOK files, (.CDX, .DBF, and .FTP) not sure why the import wizard is not finding them. The Library folder is the correct location for them.

Since you have a complete backup on floppies I would try the import using them and see if you have any better luck.

I will try the backup files tomorrow. There are 181 floppies to sort through. Should I look for .PRO files only?

How did you do the backup? Did you use Roots IV backup which creates one .sqz file (which may span several disks) or did you backup by just making copies of the folders under Roots IV?

Contact Dorothy at Tech Support for importing your data. It will import best by first importing into TMG 4 and then into TMG 6. She'll need either your original files or your backups.

Contact Dorothy at Tech Support for importing your data. It will import best by first importing into TMG 4 and then into TMG 6. She'll need either your original files or your backups.

Roger that. Will contact Dorothy in the morning. Thank you and best. :)

How did you do the backup? Did you use Roots IV backup which creates one .sqz file (which may span several disks) or did you backup by just making copies of the folders under Roots IV?

I don't remember what backup tool I used. Likely I used Windows95 internal backup tool.

Did I mention the blue DOS screen came as a nasty surprise. :eek: Those were some crude days.

I don't remember what backup tool I used. Likely I used Windows95 internal backup tool.

Did I mention the blue DOS screen came as a nasty surprise. :eek: Those were some crude days.

Those are not the type of backups that can be read by the Import Wizard...

Hopefully Dorothy at Tech Support can help...

ALRIGHT!!... TMG a winner once again!! :thumbsup:

Don't know what we did but after re-starting the computer and getting R4 running one last time, TMG imported all the data like a champ!

Thanks to all of you for the benefit of your experience. Got a lot of work to do over the Labor Day holiday. Years of additional data to be added and finally GOT A PROGRAM THAT WORKS!!

Thank you TMG folks! :)

ALRIGHT!!... TMG a winner once again!! :thumbsup:

Don't know what we did but after re-starting the computer and getting R4 running one last time, TMG imported all the data like a champ!

Thanks to all of you for the benefit of your experience. Got a lot of work to do over the Labor Day holiday. Years of additional data to be added and finally GOT A PROGRAM THAT WORKS!!

Thank you TMG folks! :)

Best of luck...there's plenty of us ex-UFTers around who can help you if you have problems...