BJHeard

BEST way to update finished VCF chart?

I created a DYNAMITE Desc. Box Chart in VCF for a recent family reunion. It was a HUGE hit! and as I knew would happen, I was provided with quite a few "updates" to the chart.

Now I want to update the previous 'final' version of the chart. I know there is no 'automatic' way to get these updates on to the chart. My question to all of you is: do you have any recommendations about what you think is the best way to get these updates onto my chart?

I think the process will be to create a new chart, then cut (or copy) and paste in to the old chart.

Thanks for your advise. Barbara Heard

When you say you have updates - the "best" / " easiest" method depends on a number of things. When new persons are added, when birth dates are added that change the order of chilfren in early families, when marriage dates change the order of these on the chart, the only practical way is to start again. Just think of what you are asking VCF to do if it was to update the chart from the previous version - the result would be very difficult to do (and retain the relevant other changes that you have added to the first chart - this map here with lines from some place to certain boxes.) ... I could go on.

How much editing was done to the previous chart was generated in VCF? (Was it only last minute corrections in the text or was it a large number of box movements, addition of extra pictures, notes, lines, etc.) If only a small number of edits then start from scratch as adding new persons, changing birth dates, correcting multiple marriage partner sequences can be difficult to resolve - to get the space in the right place on the chart. <G>

In any case, I would update my project and then generate the same VCF chart again - at minimum, to see how the sequence of persons has changed. Then I would review my best options - IT AIN'T EASY on bigger charts.

When you say you have updates - the "best" / " easiest" method depends on a number of things. When new persons are added, when birth dates are added that change the order of chilfren in early families, when marriage dates change the order of these on the chart, the only practical way is to start again. Just think of what you are asking VCF to do if it was to update the chart from the previous version - the result would be very difficult to do (and retain the relevant other changes that you have added to the first chart - this map here with lines from some place to certain boxes.) ... I could go on.

How much editing was done to the previous chart was generated in VCF? (Was it only last minute corrections in the text or was it a large number of box movements, addition of extra pictures, notes, lines, etc.) If only a small number of edits then start from scratch as adding new persons, changing birth dates, correcting multiple marriage partner sequences can be difficult to resolve - to get the space in the right place on the chart. <G>

In any case, I would update my project and then generate the same VCF chart again - at minimum, to see how the sequence of persons has changed. Then I would review my best options - IT AIN'T EASY on bigger charts.

Hi Robin,

It is a large chart with many custom edits and images in it. I am adding some folks (recent children that I didn't know about) and editing information for others. There are even a few relationships that must be changed as a result of information I got at the reunion. I knew before I asked the question that the answer wasn't going to be an easy one.

I will do as you suggested and generate a whole new chart. I THINK I might copy & paste some of the new boxes from the new chart into the original chart and manually draw the relationship lines as I go along. Thank goodness for the WG TMG DVDs. I remember seeing a segment on just how to do this, so I will be looking at it again.

Thanks for your response. Barbara