JohnR

Don't die in a place with full stops

Not being American I have a tendancy to write District of Columbia as D.C. so in an Individual Narrative Report for someone who dies in D.C. the sentence can read "died in Washington, D.C, at the age of 56." how do I get round this? It could of course happen with Malta, G.C. and I suppose for someone who died in the W.C., though I haven't experimented with this.

Not being American I have a tendancy to write District of Columbia as D.C. so in an Individual Narrative Report for someone who dies in D.C. the sentence can read "died in Washington, D.C, at the age of 56." how do I get round this? It could of course happen with Malta, G.C. and I suppose for someone who died in the W.C., though I haven't experimented with this.

John - being an American <G> - that is exactly the way I would put it. D.C. is the same as "Ind." or "Ore." -- I doubt if anyone uses the full name. You're doing just fine........

Carol Collins

in an Individual Narrative Report for someone who dies in D.C. the sentence can read "died in Washington, D.C, at the age of 56." how do I get round this?
John, I can confirm what you see; if I use "D.C." as the last field in the place, and the A variable follows the place in the sentence, the full-stop after the C in "D.C." is omitted.

So, with sentence: "[P] died ", TMG made this output: "She died on 28 Feb 1887 at Washington, D.C, at age 65."

I don't think TMG discriminates against Washington, D.C., <_ so i presume it will happen with any place that ends in a period. report this on the beta list.>

Assuming the standard British definition - :D .

Virginia

I was trying not to be too loo 'd.