Peggy Coughlan

Images in PDF format

Peggy,

You can attach PDF files as exhibits, but not as image exhibits. PDFs aren't image files, although if the only content of a PDF is an image it might look like one. I think you have to extract the image from the PDF and save it as a JPG or one of the other supported image formats.

If I want to display an image of an individual that I have in a PDF file format how do I go about doing this? It seems to

me that the image feature does not allow a PDF file to be displayed.

I've had much trouble with PDF format files with every application program tried except the PDF program and no longer use them.

For trouble free images, JPG is recommended, if your scanner program supports it. BMP format is also trouble free, but is a memory hog.

I hope that your images in PDF are large. The only way that I know to translate them to a widely useful format results in a loss of resolution.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

I've had much trouble with PDF format files with every application program tried except the PDF program and no longer use them.

For trouble free images, JPG is recommended, if your scanner program supports it. BMP format is also trouble free, but is a memory hog.

I hope that your images in PDF are large. The only way that I know to translate them to a widely useful format results in a loss of resolution.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Tiffs are also good for official records (ie. non photos), are about the same size as PDF's, attach as an image, display in most web browsers, and don't loose information lake jpegs. For photo's jpegs are still my choice for attaching but I usually keep a bitmap in a separate file in case I need an original scan again sometime.

Alison

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

It has been my experience that jpg image files wrapped in PDF files typically extract at low "monitor screen" resolution from Adobe 7 Reader. However "low budget" PDF editing utilities, such as PDF995edit may be able to extract the jpgs at full resolution.

John

What exhibit import option would you choose to import a PDF file? I'm scanning official records (birth, death, etc.) in as PDF files.

To import a PDF, select "Insert New Text", then "External File". You will get a warning that "Only true text files can be imbedded in the report output", but the file thumbnail will show in the exhibits. Double clicking the thumbnail will open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat or whatever application you have associated with that file type.

Kevin

2 points regarding exhibits in PDF format:

1. if you have adobe photoshop elements 4.0, you can make a reasonable conversion of a pdf file to jpg or other formats. just remember to specify at least 300 pixels, not the default 72. the result is not quite as crisp as some dedicated programs like smartPDF converter.

2. one great advantage of using TMG to store a reference PDF file is for downloaded extracts from books on Heritage Quest. Take a typical 1889 genealogy that has 17 relevant pages, download the 17 pages in one PDF file, and store the file as an exhibit for that genealogy in the master source file. compare that to a file cabinet full of bad xeroxes from the historical society! alan