Utilizing Quaker dates, especially those before 1752 can become quite annoying when recording any event, as TMG doesn't identify those dates as anything other than irregular. For myself, I would like to maintain the integrity of the original data by recording it as found, since there is too much room for error when inputting events prior to 1752 into a database.

Ideally, what I would love to see is it accepting these at face value such as 7d 5mo 1711, rather than having to click on "ok" each and every time I am working with Quaker records.

If that isn't feasible, I would be willing to settle for a dating option, such as we have now with Regnal dates, but again, the whole idea is to maintain the dates in their original format

Just wishing....

I failed to mention that one of my gripes about inputting them as irregular dates is that TMG fails to recognize them on the person view (at the top with the date ranges) and incorrectly identifies either a birth, death or both as being <?>, which isn't correct.

Siobhan,

One thing you could do--not optimal if I understand you, but perhaps reasonable--is put "7d 5mo 1711" in the memo field, and then use that in the sentence. Put your interpretation of that date in the Date field. The person view and other places will show the formatted version, but the narrative will show the Quaker version or whatever you put in the memo. If you have some other memo content, you could use memo subfields.

Siobhan,

One thing you could do--not optimal if I understand you, but perhaps reasonable--is put "7d 5mo 1711" in the memo field, and then use that in the sentence. Put your interpretation of that date in the Date field. The person view and other places will show the formatted version, but the narrative will show the Quaker version or whatever you put in the memo. If you have some other memo content, you could use memo subfields.

This is one of my minor gripes about TMG: the date you put in the date field either meets the TMG date standards or it is considered an irregular date and is not used when a structured date is required. Ultimate Family Tree has a third date field called a Structured Date, which is used when the Free format date is not appropriate (in charts and tables). The Free Format date is used in narrative reports and can be anything you want. UFT normally does a pretty good job of decoding slightly off-standard Free format dates to fill the Structured and Sort date fields, but you can set all three independent of each other if you wish.

Pierce