Rlockmanpete

Non Primary names still not in pick list order

I am still having the problem that when I enter a name variation, or non primary name, it does not appear in the Pick list in the normal order. It appears just before the list of primary names in the pick list. For example:

Oline Olsdatter Kallasen is the primary name and appears where expected. she is also know as Olea Olsdatter Tjomsland, but when I enter that it appears before the primary names in the pick list get started.

Terry Riegel suggested that I may have entered the names in some other line than the "Surname" line, but I checked and it is entered correctly. I now have about 35 variant names which are out of order in the list. I have many more variant names than that in the file, so it must be a fairly recent problem that has cropped up.

I also note that when I look at the variant name in the list it appears without a comma between the surname and given name. In the example above they appear thus:

*Kallasen, Oline Olsdatter

Tjomsland Olea Olsdatter

I suspect it must be something in the settings or styles. Possibly I need to check something to " show non primary items or something like that but no matter what I have tried it doesn't help. How can I get that comma in there. I believe that is a key, because when I type in the surname that is non primary (Tjomsland) it shows the non primary list, but when I type in a comma it immediately shifts to the place it should be in the list of primary names.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I am still having the problem that when I enter a name variation, or non primary name, it does not appear in the Pick list in the normal order. It appears just before the list of primary names in the pick list. For example:

Oline Olsdatter Kallasen is the primary name and appears where expected. she is also know as Olea Olsdatter Tjomsland, but when I enter that it appears before the primary names in the pick list get started.

Terry Riegel suggested that I may have entered the names in some other line than the "Surname" line, but I checked and it is entered correctly. I now have about 35 variant names which are out of order in the list. I have many more variant names than that in the file, so it must be a fairly recent problem that has cropped up.

I also note that when I look at the variant name in the list it appears without a comma between the surname and given name. In the example above they appear thus:

*Kallasen, Oline Olsdatter

Tjomsland Olea Olsdatter

I suspect it must be something in the settings or styles. Possibly I need to check something to " show non primary items or something like that but no matter what I have tried it doesn't help. How can I get that comma in there. I believe that is a key, because when I type in the surname that is non primary (Tjomsland) it shows the non primary list, but when I type in a comma it immediately shifts to the place it should be in the list of primary names.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi, Robert,

I just tried to replicate your issue using TMG Version 5.15 but with no success.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the Tag Entry screen for a Name/Var tag which doesn't sort / show correctly in the Picklist?

That might help to track this down.

Hi, Robert,

I just tried to replicate your issue using TMG Version 5.15 but with no success.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the Tag Entry screen for a Name/Var tag which doesn't sort / show correctly in the Picklist?

Robert,

in order to get the desired surname "Tjomsland" sort correctly it also has to be in the "SortSurname" field - please see the following screenshot regarding the surname "Alexander"

tag_entry_screen.jpg

Are the same name styles used for both primary and non-primary names?

Yes the same name styles are used, ;and the non primary surname appears in the Sort Surname section

Hi, Robert,

I will try to get a screenshot of the Tag entry screen. The name does appear in the Sort Surname field.

Richard

Hi, Robert,

I tried to get a screenshot, but apparently I don't know how to do it. Can you tell me how? - Richard

Robert,

in order to get the desired surname "Tjomsland" sort correctly it also has to be in the "SortSurname" field - please see the following screenshot regarding the surname "Alexander"

post-2133-1158004292_thumb.jpg

My Tag Entry box looks exactly like the box you showed, of course with a different name.

My Tag Entry box looks exactly like the box you showed, of course with a different name.

Hi, Richard,

this is just a guess and I really have no idea whether it may help in your case or not (although in another case it did :) ). So may be you want to give it a try.

Please open the Tag Entry screen for any of those names which do not sort correctly.

Just use the TAB key on your keyboard and tab from field to field - please do nothing else. Immediately after you "tabbed" through all of those name fields press OK. Nothing more please.

Now please check whether it helped to make that name sort correctly in the Picklist.

BTW:

Which Picklist are you using - Simple or Expanded?

Is the result / effect the same in both?

Do those names also not sort in the right order in the Project Explorer? I assume so, right?

Other than that I am really running out of ideas, sorry. :(

Hi, Richard,

this is just a guess and I really have no idea whether it may help in your case or not (although in another case it did :) ). So may be you want to give it a try.

Please open the Tag Entry screen for any of those names which do not sort correctly.

Just use the TAB key on your keyboard and tab from field to field - please do nothing else. Immediately after you "tabbed" through all of those name fields press OK. Nothing more please.

Now please check whether it helped to make that name sort correctly in the Picklist.

BTW:

Which Picklist are you using - Simple or Expanded?

Is the result / effect the same in both?

Do those names also not sort in the right order in the Project Explorer? I assume so, right?

Other than that I am really running out of ideas, sorry. :(

Hello Vera: Thank you for your efforts. I tried using the TAB key and nothing happened. I tried putting in a comma after the Surname in the surname and/or the sort surname fields. Nothing. I was using the Simple pick list, so I just went and changed to the expanded pick list and every thing is grayed out and I can't do anything - the TmG is still running, and not crashed so maybe it is just running to change to an expanded list. I will wait and then see if it changes anything. Those names do not show at all in the Project explorer - just the primary names. Maybe that is the setting problem? but I am not sure how to change it.

Thanks again,

Richard

Hello Vera: Thank you for your efforts. I tried using the TAB key and nothing happened. I tried putting in a comma after the Surname in the surname and/or the sort surname fields. Nothing. I was using the Simple pick list, so I just went and changed to the expanded pick list and every thing is grayed out and I can't do anything - the TmG is still running, and not crashed so maybe it is just running to change to an expanded list. I will wait and then see if it changes anything. Those names do not show at all in the Project explorer - just the primary names. Maybe that is the setting problem? but I am not sure how to change it.

Thanks again,

Richard

Hi again, Vera:

I had to shut the program down and restart it in order to be able to do anything. The non-primary names do not appear in the expanded pick list, just like in the Project Explorer. That makes me think the filters may be the cause? Again, maybe this will give somebody an idea.

Richard

The non-primary names do not appear in the expanded pick list, just like in the Project Explorer. That makes me think the filters may be the cause? Again, maybe this will give somebody an idea.

Richard

If you wish to display both primary and non-primary names:

In the Expanded Picklist, click on Filter and click on 'Both' at the bottom of the screen.

In the Project Explorer, click on the Filter icon, then on the Filter tab, click on 'Both.

Virginia

Hello Vera: Thank you for your efforts.

Thanks again,

Richard

Hi again, Vera:

I had to shut the program down and restart it in order to be able to do anything. The non-primary names do not appear in the expanded pick list, just like in the Project Explorer. That makes me think the filters may be the cause? Again, maybe this will give somebody an idea.

Richard

Hi, Richard,

you're welcome. :) Although nothing really seemed to work so far.

To have both "name-types" appear in the Expanded Picklist and the Project Explorer please see Virginias earlier reply.

Other than that I think I need to look at your project.

So if you would like to do so please sent a backup of your **pure** project (without anything else like customizations, external exhibits or the like) directly to Me!

Please check and confirm: are you using TMG Version 5.15?

In the Expanded Picklist, click on Filter and click on 'Both' at the bottom of the screen.

In the Project Explorer, click on the Filter icon, then on the Filter tab, click on 'Both.

Virginia

The project explorer and simple pick list are both filtered for "Both". I don't want to use the expanded pick list because it operates so slowly, probably because I have about 19,600+ people in the file.

Hi, Richard,

you're welcome. :) Although nothing really seemed to work so far.

To have both "name-types" appear in the Expanded Picklist and the Project Explorer please see Virginias earlier reply.

Other than that I think I need to look at your project.

So if you would like to do so please sent a backup of your **pure** project (without anything else like customizations, external exhibits or the like) directly to Me!

Please check and confirm: are you using TMG Version 5.15?

I am using TMG version 5.15. I will be more than happy to send you a copy of my file, but it contains 90,600+ names and when I back up is is just under 700 Megabytes. It will be a fairly long download. Do you still want to receive it?

Even though the filter on the project explorer is set on both I don't see the non primary names. Really a puzzle!!!

Richard

Virginia

My bad. The file has 90,600 not 19,600

The project explorer and simple pick list are both filtered for "Both". I don't want to use the expanded pick list because it operates so slowly, probably because I have about 19,600+ people in the file.

I am using TMG version 5.15. I will be more than happy to send you a copy of my file, but it contains 90,600+ names and when I back up is is just under 700 Megabytes. It will be a fairly long download. Do you still want to receive it?

Even though the filter on the project explorer is set on both I don't see the non primary names. Really a puzzle!!!

Richard

My bad. The file has 90,600 not 19,600

Hi, Richard,

please contact me using the link in my previous message above regarding the size of your project and on how to back-it-up.

I have some questions on this.

Hi, Richard,

please contact me using the link in my previous message above regarding the size of your project and on how to back-it-up.

I have some questions on this.

Hurray, Everyone. Vera has solved my problem, and no more help is needed. Somehow I had gotten a second "Name Style" in the system and didn't know it. I had the Advanced Data Entry shut off, so it didn't show the two styles in the Tag Entry Screen. I just had to go in and manually change the style for the names that weren't in the correct place in the pick list.

Vera Rules!!!!