kevin_b

Support/development cycle of TMG

What is the development cycle of TMG? Are there updates released often? Bug tracking/fixes?

Using the trial version 6 I've already run into a few "issues" that are making me very hesitant to purchase. All the reviews I've read state this is the way to go though.

For instance, when I start the software and get to the welcome screen where you can choose "Last, Sample, Select..." etc., if I leave that window present and click on the Help menu I get a code error "Array dimensions are invalid".

Now, any normal person would say "don't do that", but to me it's a sign of problems. This is only one of the things I ran into.

Understand, I'm not a troll, not flaming the software, just wondering what the development and support is like should I run into any more problems.

Thank you,

Kevin :cheers:

This is not an official Wholly Genes response. Just my take...

Kevin,

What is the development cycle of TMG? Are there updates released often? Bug tracking/fixes?

V6.00.000 was released in Decenber 2004. There have been nine updates since then (an update about every 3.5 months) and a tenth is imminent.

There is no public bug list but reading the forums and the mail list gives you an idea of what has been reported and what has been taken to Support. Most user contact with Support is by email and phone.

Using the trial version 6 I've already run into a few "issues" that are making me very hesitant to purchase. All the reviews I've read state this is the way to go though.

You can get the best feel for the users' view of the program by subscribing to the TMG mail list and following the conversation there for a while.

For instance, when I start the software and get to the welcome screen where you can choose "Last, Sample, Select..." etc., if I leave that window present and click on the Help menu I get a code error "Array dimensions are invalid".

Since the Welcome screen has no [Help] button, your description of the issue is not clear. If you can describe exactly what you found and it can be replicated, it will be fixed.

You can invoke help from the Welcome screen by typing F1 and, by doing that, I get the help topic for the Welcome screen with no error.

Since you can't respond in this forum, I'd take this to the v6 forum. In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what you're saying.

Now, any normal person would say "don't do that", but to me it's a sign of problems. This is only one of the things I ran into.

All software has bugs. TMG is a very complex program (at the request of the user community) and, for this reason, is going to have more bugs than other genealogy databases. When they are reported and can be replicated, they are fixed.

Understand, I'm not a troll, not flaming the software, just wondering what the development and support is like should I run into any more problems.

A perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Jim