Shaundm

Attaching exhibits, where is the best place to put them...

I have scanned lots of Birth Certificates. I want to attach them as an exhibit. As far as I can see there are 2 possible places to put the source with the exhibit attached.

1a) The birth event itself.

2a) Create a source called 'Birth Certificate of Joe Bloggs' and attach the source to all of the events where the information is used.

I can see the following problems.

1a) As the BC also contains information like the occupation of father, the exhibit will need to be attached to the birth tag, the occupation tag, etc. This means attaching the exhibit to lots of tags.

2a) I will then have lots of sources, ie 1 source for every certificate i have which may become cumbersome. However it does mean only 1 source for each certificate.

How does everyone else attach exhibits as sources?

Thanks, Shaun

I always make sources for those kinds of exhibits (birth/death/marriage/baptismal certs, passports, deeds, etc). Only photographs or exhibits that naturally are connected to one (or maybe two) tags I attach to the tag. Yes, there will be quite a few sources after a while, but I have found the master source list to be easy to navigate and plus I feel like the citations for the tags are much more organized. I also always know where to find an exhibit and there will be no exhibit redundancies.

For me your option 2a works the best.

Good luck,

Ken.

I have scanned lots of Birth Certificates. I want to attach them as an exhibit. As far as I can see there are 2 possible places to put the source with the exhibit attached.

1a) The birth event itself.

2a) Create a source called 'Birth Certificate of Joe Bloggs' and attach the source to all of the events where the information is used.

I can see the following problems.

1a) As the BC also contains information like the occupation of father, the exhibit will need to be attached to the birth tag, the occupation tag, etc. This means attaching the exhibit to lots of tags.

2a) I will then have lots of sources, ie 1 source for every certificate i have which may become cumbersome. However it does mean only 1 source for each certificate.

How does everyone else attach exhibits as sources?

Thanks, Shaun

I don't have many, so this proposed solution doesn't apply to me. However, assuming you have many from the same jurisdiction you could establish a source such as "Vital records of Milwaukee, Wisconsin." Then you could identify the specific birth/death/marriage record in the citation detail field when citing the source.

Dick

Edited by RGC

I agree with elevator. The problem with RGC's approach (which I have tried) is that it makes it very difficult to get back to a specific source if it's only contained within another source's citation detail, whereas if it stands as a source itself, it can be easily accessed using the Master Source List.

pktropics

I agree with elevator. The problem with RGC's approach (which I have tried) is that it makes it very difficult to get back to a specific source if it's only contained within another source's citation detail, whereas if it stands as a source itself, it can be easily accessed using the Master Source List.

pktropics

Looks like I'll create a source for each certificate. Thanks

pktropics

One aspect to consider is the list of sources in the printed report, The list can be huge, espcially if each document is written up as a separate source.

One aspect to consider is the list of sources in the printed report, The list can be huge, espcially if each document is written up as a separate source.

For what it's worth I've been lumping evrything I can for this reason but exhibits can be very frustrating to work with this way. My new method, if only I can get evrything moved over, is to lump census records and attach exhibits to the citation detail but make certificate, wills, deeds, etc. seperate entries and attaching the scan to the source entry. It may make a longer bibliography but it will also make it esier to quickly see which original records I have and where I've had to substitute or need to do more research.

Just my two cents.

For what it's worth I've been lumping evrything I can for this reason but exhibits can be very frustrating to work with this way. My new method, if only I can get evrything moved over, is to lump census records and attach exhibits to the citation detail but make certificate, wills, deeds, etc. seperate entries and attaching the scan to the source entry. It may make a longer bibliography but it will also make it esier to quickly see which original records I have and where I've had to substitute or need to do more research.

Just my two cents.

I have generally attached exhibits to the source, not the citation. My feeling is that the casual reader/viewer is mostly interested in the nature of the source (will, census, deed, etc) than the details. The more intent reader/viewer will go to the source description and, if a viewer of an SS site, see the exhibit and if not at least know where to find it if a reader of the TMG-printed report. As far as I can recall the exhibit will not appear as an adjunct or reference in the printed report and perhaps never will, given the variety of exhibit types.

Dick