lindac001

Copying custom sentences to another family file

I use TMG to work with several clients' family files. Once I create custom sentences for use in one of these family files, I would like to be able to use them in other family files without having to carefully retype each sentence. Is there a way to copy custom sentences directly from one family file to another?

TMG Utility (see link below) has a facility to copy sentences from one project to another. Basically, you Export Sentences from one dataset, and Import Sentences into another.

I use TMG to work with several clients' family files. Once I create custom sentences for use in one of these family files, I would like to be able to use them in other family files without having to carefully retype each sentence. Is there a way to copy custom sentences directly from one family file to another?

I have a "default" project which has all my customized tags, sentences, etc. It has one person in it ... me. I keep it as a default, and when I want to apply that structure to another project, I just make a copy of it (select "Copy Project" from the File menu). If you have a pre-existing project you want to apply it to, just merge it to the "default" project. If you're starting data entry from scratch, you'd just use the copied "default" project and begin entering your new data.

I created the "default" project by exporting myself into a new project. You could do the same by just exporting any person from the project which has the sentences you want to copy. You can then just delete that person from the new project.