walm

Importing from FTW -place names wrongly located

Hello Group,

I've imported a Family Tree Maker file (FTW) okay, but the all the towns have been put in the Country Column etc.

According to the help file: "When you are doing an import from GEDCOM, Legacy or Family Tree Maker, one of the options is Realign Place Names. You will select this option if you want to make a global check near the end of the import process to ensure that the elements of each place name appear in the proper place fields".

This option does not come up at anytime during import and I can't find it anywhere on the menus.

I promised to print out a chart for a reunion this weekend but can't seem to get the descendant chart to pick up these odd fields.

I'm using the UK version 6.09. Any suggestions :wacko:

Wal - Down Under

The "Realign Place Names" feature simply opens the Master Place List - you can do manually that from the Tools menu.

Once there, you have to realign each entry (that is, each different place). Do that by finding the line the entry is on, clicking in the right-most field to be moved (or left-most, depending on which direction you will be moving them), hold Ctrl, and use the right or left arrow keys to move that entry and each one next to it to the left or right.

Is it essentual to fix them before printing your chart? It doesn't matter that they are in the wrong field, as long as that field is included in the chart output.

The "Realign Place Names" feature simply opens the Master Place List

Is that all it does. :huh:

Oh, what a shame. Firstly that it doesn't come up as indicated and secondly as you can't do a "global" change.

I should have read it more closely where it says "global check" :wacko:

Okay thanks for that, much appreciated. Can I trouble you or some kind soul out there, or maybe it's just for the wish list, is there a way or moving a whole "column" of data in the Master Place List into the another column?

As to the chart, for some reason after several attemps at importing and creating a descendent chart (vcf) which had blank place fields, it finally worked, even though the imported place details were in the same wrong field in TMG. I have know idea what I did different if anything.

(computers are like spouses - both kinds - you just have to treat them right :wub: )

Wal