iThomas

Translation to Swedish

Hi!

I have recently bought TMG v6.

As I'm living in Sweden I want to have all text translated to Swedish.

I suppose that there are no translations availible - not even outside of WhollyGenes ?

Therefore I will translate the texts myself.

Could You please give me directions of how to proceed with this task.

(Files, format of the files, recommended tools, etc.)

Apart from the translations I have some minor customizations that are needed to accomodate TMG to Nordic genealogy standards. One is that we use the attribute of "gender chains" for our ancestors, e g "ffmf" for our mothers-mothers-fathers-mother etc. I want this attribute to show up in some reports and screens.

TIA

Thomas Berg

To get started, you might want to read my articles on TMG's language features (link below, last section on the main index page). It doesn't deal with Swedich specifically, but does talk about the Language features in some detail.

To get started, you might want to read my articles on TMG's language features (link below, last section on the main index page). It doesn't deal with Swedich specifically, but does talk about the Language features in some detail.

Thanks !! :)

Will read it.

Thomas

Hi!

I have recently bought TMG v6.

As I'm living in Sweden I want to have all text translated to Swedish.

I suppose that there are no translations availible - not even outside of WhollyGenes ?

Therefore I will translate the texts myself.

Could You please give me directions of how to proceed with this task.

(Files, format of the files, recommended tools, etc.)

TIA

Thomas Berg

Hello Thomas,

I translated (and still am translating <grin>) the used strings in Dutch. There are a few ways to translate the text, Terry already answered. Do you mean the text generated by the reports or do you mean the whole smuck (messages, menu's, optionscreens, etc...)?

In the last case you looking at a strings.dbf file with more than 16300 records that need to be translated and you better collect a team to do the job in parts. In case you want TMG translated complete I can provide you an Excell file with all the strings from TMG or if you have FoxPro you can edit the strings file yourself.

Hi Christer and Harry !

I have now done a rough translation of the "whole smuck".

(Used a translation program and then corrected some of the worst misses.)

There are of course a lot of errors but it's usable. Now I (we ?) have to correct them and that will take some time...

There are also some strings that were not translated, I don't know why for the moment.

Two pics of the translated TMG (at least Christer can see at to which degree I have succeded...):

TMG3.png

TMG4.png

BTW, I get: "Syntax Error: 0 MAIN" a couple of times when starting TMG after the translation, have to click "Ignore" until I can begin work with TMG.

Thomas

Hi Christer and Harry !

I have now done a rough translation of the "whole smuck".

(Used a translation program and then corrected some of the worst misses.)

There are of course a lot of errors but it's usable. Now I (we ?) have to correct them and that will take some time...

There are also some strings that were not translated, I don't know why for the moment.

Two pics of the translated TMG (at least Christer can see at to which degree I have succeded...):

As far as I can see you have done a good job... the remaining English words on the pictures come from the "buttons" which you will find in the directory \The Master Genealogist\buttons you will see files Dutch_ french_ etc... you will have to make swedish_ similar files...

The other English items are the "Tags" and tags are translated "hardcoded" so you will have to ask the developpers a list of standard tags and translate them (tag, past tense, abbreviation, sentence construction) and then the developpers can implement them into TMG

BTW, I get: "Syntax Error: 0 MAIN" a couple of times when starting TMG after the translation, have to click "Ignore" until I can begin work with TMG.

Thomas

That is probably a bug and you have to report it to the developpers, I will try translating too and if I get the error I will report it.

About the "Syntax Error: 0 MAIN", I can think of a reason: my constructed version of the SWEDISH.dbf file could have a slightly wrong format or header.

If anyone have a flawlessy working cSWEDISH.dbf file (apart from the translation part of course) please send a copy to me for comparing with my file.

About the "Syntax Error: 0 MAIN", I can think of a reason: my constructed version of the SWEDISH.dbf file could have a slightly wrong format or header.

If anyone have a flawlessy working cSWEDISH.dbf file (apart from the translation part of course) please send a copy to me for comparing with my file.

Have one and will send it directly to you.

Christer