holgersen

'Born' when it should be 'Christened'

I'm generating a descendacy report and for some of the families I do not know the birth dates of the children. I do, however, know the dates and place they were christened. They are all christened in the same church. The problem is that in the report it says 'Children of x and y all born in Hjortdal church, were as follows:'.

This is clearly incorrect as I do now know and have not registered any birth tag, only a christened tag. It should say '... all christened in Hjortdal church...'.

Best regards

- Jesper Holgersen

TMG places the Christened tag in the Birth group for exactly the purpose you are using them - so they can serve as a substitute for missing birth information.

The default settings for the descendent Journal report group the "birth" places when they are all the same. But, that feature does not distinguish between the various types of tags in the Birth group, as you discovered.

The solution is to open Options, and on the General tab, in the "Style" box on the left center, choose "Custom Format." That allows you to make a number of detail option changes on the other tabs.

Then go to the Miscellaneous tab, and uncheck the option to "Group Common Birth Places." This will eliminate the "all born in..." phrase, and put the Christening place in each individual childs' section.

Alternatively, you could send the report to a word processor and manually change those families that are involved.

TMG places the Christened tag in the Birth group for exactly the purpose you are using them - so they can serve as a substitute for missing birth information.

The default settings for the descendent Journal report group the "birth" places when they are all the same. But, that feature does not distinguish between the various types of tags in the Birth group, as you discovered.

The solution is to open Options, and on the General tab, in the "Style" box on the left center, choose "Custom Format." That allows you to make a number of detail option changes on the other tabs.

Then go to the Miscellaneous tab, and uncheck the option to "Group Common Birth Places." This will eliminate the "all born in..." phrase, and put the Christening place in each individual childs' section.

Alternatively, you could send the report to a word processor and manually change those families that are involved.

Hi again,

Thanks for your help. I will definatively go for unchecking the "Group Common Birth Places", that's the easier way. However, I'd rather have TMG figure out that it should use 'christened' instead of 'born' :D

I see some idea in having christened and born being grouped together but it has always bugged me that I cannot show both a birth and a christened primary tag in my reports as they are mutually exclusive. Because of this I have to either enter information about the christening (godfather/mothers etc.) in a birth tag or information about the birth in the christening tag (I always only print primary events in my reports). Hence my place list does not cover all places where events have actually taken place and I have to put information about one event into an event type where it doesn't belong.

Best regards

- Jesper

PS. I can of course enter an extra non-primary tag to make my place list complete, but it still not the "right" way to do it.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. :)

I will definatively go for unchecking the "Group Common Birth Places", that's the easier way. However, I'd rather have TMG figure out that it should use 'christened' instead of 'born'

What would you have it do if some children had birth dates and some had only christened dates? :)

I see some idea in having christened and born being grouped together but it has always bugged me that I cannot show both a birth and a christened primary tag in my reports as they are mutually exclusive.

Sure you can, at least in most reports. This is only a problem if you limit the report to primary events, which in my view is a poor way to control the output. See my article on Primary Tags and Printing for details.

Of course, most charts have room for only one, so print only primary tags.

You're welcome. :)

What would you have it do if some children had birth dates and some had only christened dates? :)

Then TMG should not group them together and should just have some of the children show up as 'born' and others as 'christened'. Just as if some children were born in one place and others in another place.

Sure you can, at least in most reports. This is only a problem if you limit the report to primary events, which in my view is a poor way to control the output. See my article on Primary Tags and Printing for details.

Of course, most charts have room for only one, so print only primary tags.

I'll have a look. It's never too late to learn something new :rolleyes: However, why is the birth/christening so special? I do not see the same mutual exclusiveness for death/burial even though they are also grouped together.

However, why is the birth/christening so special? I do not see the same mutual exclusiveness for death/burial even though they are also grouped together.

No, they are not grouped together. Death is in the Death group and Burial is in the Burial group. That's why they can both be primary, and both can print with the report set to primary only.

The rule is:

Only one tag in the following groups can be Primary:

- Name

- Birth

- Death

- Burial

Only on tag with the same pair of principals can be primary in:

- Marriage

- Divorce

- Parent relationship

In the Other Events group, only one tag of each type can be primary with the same pair of principals.

It's the last that is another strong reason not to use "Primary Only" in reports. It keeps you from printing multiple tags of such common types as Note, Anecdote, and Census.

I'm generating a descendacy report and for some of the families I do not know the birth dates of the children. I do, however, know the dates and place they were christened. They are all christened in the same church. The problem is that in the report it says 'Children of x and y all born in Hjortdal church, were as follows:'.

This is clearly incorrect as I do now know and have not registered any birth tag, only a christened tag. It should say '... all christened in Hjortdal church...'.

Best regards

- Jesper Holgersen

One solution to this problem is to assign a BIRTH tag to each and every person.

If only the baptism date is known, use the BEFORE prefix with the christened date in the BIRTH tag. You can add the word Baptized / Christened in the detail line or memo box, if you like. You can specify a place other than the church name.

If no date is known about the person, you can invent one from known dates of ancestors or descendants. Use the CIRCA prefix or the "?" suffix to show that this is not a true recorded date. You can explain your logic in the detail line or memo if desired.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

You seem to want Birth and Christening data to be separate. One way (there are probably others) would be to create a custom tag in the Other group, possibly named "ChrisOther", and put your Christening information in that tag. You might still create a Birth tag, possibly without a date or place, but having this custom tag in a different group would prevent its dates or locations from being grouped with Birth events.

With TMG instead of asking why the default behavior is a particular way, I ask whether I can customize it to do it MY way. Usually the answer is yes.

You seem to want Birth and Christening data to be separate. One way (there are probably others) would be to create a custom tag in the Other group, possibly named "ChrisOther", and put your Christening information in that tag. You might still create a Birth tag, possibly without a date or place, but having this custom tag in a different group would prevent its dates or locations from being grouped with Birth events.

With TMG instead of asking why the default behavior is a particular way, I ask whether I can customize it to do it MY way. Usually the answer is yes.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I haven't decided on how to proceed when registering both birth and christened events. It just seems to me that since both tags exist in TMG and in GEDCOM, it would be natural that I could also have a primary marker on each of these.

I like the idea about grouping the tags but I'd also like to control whether I want this grouping or not. Could this be one for the wish-list :D Also, it should be possible to have TMG detect if all events in a group are christened or birth events and hence decide whether to write 'all born' or 'all christened'. That's another one for the wish list.

Best regards and thanks again

- Jesper