Jvolckmann

Counting Spouses

I wonder if it is possible in the next version of TMG to count spouses, such that the paragraph or sentence reads:

She married (1) John Jones on 14 July 1932 in Washington, DC; she married (2) John Smith on 9 September 1935 in Washington, DC; she married (3) Ralph Adams on 10 June 1941 in Alexandria, VA.

FTM counts spouses and I find it a very handy tool and is especially useful when view very long descendant reports.

I think the issue is that TMG will not assume that because you have two spouses listed, that they are actually the first and second spouses, and not the second and third, the first and third, or even the third and fourth.

TMG's philosophy is that the user should make such assertions, presumably based on evidence. See my article on Multiple marriages for a way to do that in TMG.

I think the issue is that TMG will not assume that because you have two spouses listed, that they are actually the first and second spouses, and not the second and third, the first and third, or even the third and fourth.

TMG's philosophy is that the user should make such assertions, presumably based on evidence. See my article on Multiple marriages for a way to do that in TMG.

TMG does not have to assume which spouse was #1, 2, 3, etc., when dates of the marriages are present.

TMG does not have to assume which spouse was #1, 2, 3, etc., when dates of the marriages are present.

I think the point is that to do so TMG would have to assume that there was no prior marriage before #1, as well as assume that there were no intervening marriage between #1 and #2 or between #2 and #3.

I use simple roles, such as 1st Bride, 2nd Bride, 1st Groom, 2nd Groom as Terry suggests. It works fine for me.