JohnR

State/Province Abbreviations

When entering data in a tag I find the Tools>State/Province Abbreviations to be dulled out which isn't much help to a foreigner when he want to know if Clemons Grove, Ia is in Indiana or Iowa and does MA mean Maine or Massachusetts? Even when susequently used as a dictionary it doesn't allow copy/paste for those of us who never could spell Mississippi.

I am sure that the list has some use but I have yet to discover it.

As far as I know, it has never been intended as a lookup system.

Offhand, it does two things... assuming that you complete your place data fields by spelling things out (as is good standard practice).

1) With some reports, it can substiture the abbreviation for the full name saving output space. In something like a pedigree chart with very limited space, this feature makes a big difference and is enabled by default.

2) When doing placeinfo/placemap web searches, the table can be used to substitute data for variables so that the website gets the appropriate type of data for its search mechanism.

As far as I know, it has never been intended as a lookup system.

Offhand, it does two things... assuming that you complete your place data fields by spelling things out (as is good standard practice).

1) With some reports, it can substiture the abbreviation for the full name saving output space. In something like a pedigree chart with very limited space, this feature makes a big difference and is enabled by default.

2) When doing placeinfo/placemap web searches, the table can be used to substitute data for variables so that the website gets the appropriate type of data for its search mechanism.

It would of course be much more useful if it became some sort of look-up (and would I love look-up tables in the place fields) - you must remember that the Loyalists had descendants as well :)

It would of course be much more useful if it became some sort of look-up (and would I love look-up tables in the place fields) - you must remember that the Loyalists had descendants as well :)

There is a look up for abbreviations in TMG.

Under the tools menu select State/Province abbreviations

Although it appears incomplete and not too useful :)

There is a look up for abbreviations in TMG.

Under the tools menu select State/Province abbreviations

Peter,

This was never intended as a look up tool but rather as a tool to add to or edit the table.

Jim