GenerationGoneBy

My new favorite layout

Teresa,

Here is my favorite! Not as many buttons, but still quite a few...

Jan

post-117-1160959351_thumb.jpg

Edited by JanisR

Teresa,

Jan

The standard buttons suit me just fine.

Note: Female color coding is really pale pink on deep magenta (the false color appearance is due to my screen capture program)

Sibling and Children windows are normally partially hidden (spouse portion). The hidden portion appears when you click on window.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Teresa,

Jan

The standard buttons suit me just fine.

Note: Female color coding is really pale pink on deep magenta (the false color appearance is due to my screen capture program)

Sibling and Children windows are normally partially hidden (spouse portion). The hidden portion appears when you click on the window.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

post-1983-1161025086_thumb.jpg

Here's my current layout, using the FG for my anscestors, and the PE open and of course, my huge custom toolbar. What does yours look like?

Here's my current layout, using the FG for my anscestors, and the PE open and of course, my huge custom toolbar. What does yours look like?

I have settled on this for now

Les

post-186-1161033554_thumb.jpg

Colours as tasteful as ever I see Teresa <g>

I alternate between two, depending on whether or not I'm using a focus group

The yellow background indicates a relation on my maternal side, with different coloured text to indicate which branch (Black text being a direct ancestor)

Green background - a married into the family, and posted in my rootsweb tree

plus assorted other bits and bobs

post-4614-1161044854_thumb.jpgpost-4614-1161044871_thumb.jpg

I have the Focus Group in my layout half off the windowed TMG so it doesn't take up so much room, and I can still switch groups without having to slide it back on screen. I wish the FG Add Person options were on a rightclick menu or in another screen so it would have a smaller footprint in the layout.

On the right side of the TMG window are my two indispensable adjuncts to TMG - Clipmate and NoteWonder. Clipmate is a Clipboard replacement which saves all the clips; NoteWonder is a simple and very convenient note taker. In the screenshot, they almost look like part of the tmg layout - but they are separate.

This screenshot is of a 20" flatscreen monitor. If I used 2 monitors (I think Teresa does - ?) I'd probably keep Clipmate and NoteWonder on the other monitor.

The monitor display is set to 1280x800.

Virginia

Lo5x.jpg

I do at times, but my monitor is 17" when I am not. The other one is set at 800x600 because I use it for church. By the way, What do you use notepad for. I can see possiblities.

I use the notepad (the software is actually called NoteWonder) all the time - for things to check in TMG or for composing emails first (there is an option to Copy Note) - anything you would otherwise stop and jot down somewhere - like a post-it note. Clipmate is great too - you can copy and save url's or snippets of messages. Or keep registration numbers handy for pasting. I've used those two programs for years and years; couldn't get along without them.

Virginia

Note Window is very similar to the Post it note software I was using. When I had my computer worked on, they deleted it and I couldn't find how to get my registration number again. I think I will like it because it seems to have a few more features. And it fits nicely right over my custom toolbar.

Sure, I'll play! :ph34r:

I use this screen 90% of the time. I've concocted my own version of the standard toolbar using the custom toolbar, and this gives a fair peek into my fairly tame accent use.

EDIT: Those reds are actually bright, obnoxious, please-figure-me-out lipstick red. That got lost in my jpg compression. <_<

post-3362-1161060494_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeAnna Burghart

Okay, that flag window is impressive. You have even me beat. <G>

Yeah.

I gave up trying to have one flag with multi values for each of the areas and descendancy I wanted to either accent, track, list in SecondSite.

It just got too complicated, so I went for redundancy and clarity - but have to remember to run a filter and set the ones I missed every so often.

And what you lack in flags you more than compensate for in custom toolbar(s)<g>

Virginia,

How do you get clipmate to stay the same size each time it is opened and closed, or do you just resize it?

I use the Clipmate Classic option which is a lot smaller than Clipmate Explorer. It has a drop down list which I leave open during the day, but it does close up when I turn off the computer. You can also have Clipmate on the Windows toolbar at the bottom. A neat feature is Ctrl-Alt-12 which captures a screenshot of an area of the screen which you can print or export as a .jpg.

Virginia

Here's the one I use most often, of course, I have others depending on whether I am working with exhibits or Quaker record entry too.

This is really interesting.

Virginia, you have shown me why I want a larger monitor. :) Deanna, I really like how you have the PE on the left side of the screen. Teresa, I am awed by your toolbar! <G>

This is the layout I use most often. I use Deanna Begeman's census system, and my census people are purple. My ancestors and their descendants are blue text on white, people who are probably connected are blue on grey. My husband's ancestors and their descendants are red on white, and people probably related are red on grey.

When I use the focus group, I dock it on the right side, but I am going to experiment with a new layout.

Cheryl Freeman

post-2164-1161143383_thumb.jpg

I have the Focus Group in my layout half off the windowed TMG so it doesn't take up so much room, and I can still switch groups without having to slide it back on screen. I wish the FG Add Person options were on a rightclick menu or in another screen so it would have a smaller footprint in the layout.

On the right side of the TMG window are my two indispensable adjuncts to TMG - Clipmate and NoteWonder. Clipmate is a Clipboard replacement which saves all the clips; NoteWonder is a simple and very convenient note taker. In the screenshot, they almost look like part of the tmg layout - but they are separate.

This screenshot is of a 20" flatscreen monitor. If I used 2 monitors (I think Teresa does - ?) I'd probably keep Clipmate and NoteWonder on the other monitor.

The monitor display is set to 1280x800.

Virginia

post-23-1161048640_thumb.jpg

Virginia, could you share with us how you worked NoteWonder into the TMG screen. Thanks

Virginia, could you share with us how you worked NoteWonder into the TMG screen. Thanks

NoteWonder and Clipmate are not in the TMG layout. They are separated by about 1/4 inch on the Windows Desktop. It all looks like one big layout because my Windows Desktop and other Appearance settings in Windows Display properties use the same beige color: 226, 221, 211. That also happens to be the color of the walls in my office. Plain - but peaceful .

Virginia

I just leave a hole in the TMG window and have Clipmate always on top. I haven't had a chance to use it other than adding things to copy, but I can see where it would come very handy.

This is really interesting.

Virginia, you have shown me why I want a larger monitor. :) Deanna, I really like how you have the PE on the left side of the screen. Teresa, I am awed by your toolbar! <G>

This is the layout I use most often. I use Deanna Begeman's census system, and my census people are purple. My ancestors and their descendants are blue text on white, people who are probably connected are blue on grey. My husband's ancestors and their descendants are red on white, and people probably related are red on grey.

When I use the focus group, I dock it on the right side, but I am going to experiment with a new layout.

Cheryl Freeman

Cheryl,

How do you get the Cen-ENUM tag types and date to show up in grey with purple?

Well, as I learned so much from this thread, I thought I'd participate too. I never seem to run out of things to learn about TMG! Bookmarks, custom toolbars and even how to get a screenshot to share! I knew they were there, just seeing them in use made me want to try. Think I'll go check out NoteWonder!

Thanks everyone for sharing! Lori

post-1259-1161194718_thumb.jpg

I envy you folks that have the 1800's photos. I doubt I'll ever get to see a picture of most of my ancestors.

Kevin, You probably will find those pictures by searching out your cousins and contacting them, don't give up. Most people are glad to share photos. Good luck, Susan.

This thread has been excellent and quite an eye-opener for me. I’ve seen several things I’d like to incorporate into my layout (if I can find the space). However, this thread has also brought up some questions, both for individuals and more general.

1. Everybody – how do you make these neat thumbnails? I have looked all over TMG and Windows XP, and cannot find out how to do that anywhere. Granted, my layout is no great thing next to what I’ve seen, but this seems to be a useful thing for passing some info.

2. Everybody – What is the purpose of the Focus Group? I’ve read the section in the TMG Guide about it, and still cannot see how it is useful. Then again, I learn far better by visual and example rather than a written description only. Can anybody give me examples on how it is used?

3. Teresa, Janis (and others) – Your custom toolbar is extensive, but what do all those buttons do? It looks like they are names of tags, but if you explain, that would help.

4. Lorna – I really like your use of Flags, particularly for keeping track of some standard research activities. Are there other ways you use the Flag info?

5. DeAnna – What does your “Correspondent” flag signify?

I am also curious about other peoples’ custom tags, flags, and tool buttons, but if I get some replies for the above, I should be able to get creative from there.

Now all I need to do is find enough room on my laptop screen without using a magnifying glass. :blink: Thanks for all the great examples, people!