GenerationGoneBy

My new favorite layout

I created a new DEATH-WRONG tag in the other group for just these types of events. That way I don't have to worry about the DEATH tag getting marked primary when that date is wrong. Just food for thought.

Hey, Theresa, that's a good idea. Never thought of doing a tag called *.WRONG for erroneous info. Thanks for the "food". Happy TG, everybody! :D

The 2 things that seem to be consistent are that when it changes then it increases width by 1/4" and it always expands to the right regardless of where on the screen it is situated.

Mine seems to be stable with some space for more buttons.

I've just added a button, saved and opened and it extended. Saved again and it's changed again. I've now got it back to somethig I believe is stable.

:taz:

Yup, that is what I am seeing. It does move up, but it isn't noticable until about the third move. I am still working on getting all my buttons on the silly thing and then I will pick a layout that works best and stick to it. Right now I have way too many genealogy projects in the fire at once. I need to finish my toolbar, and I am working on a research trip, and I am trying to organize and scan in all my documents... Too many things to do, not enough patience. :rolleyes:

I am having the same problem with my floating toolbar but have had the problem for a long time, over a year...

Here is my screen with the custom toolbar adjusted and the layout saved

post-117-1164064948_thumb.jpg

This what it looks like when I reopen TMG.

post-117-1164065016_thumb.jpg

Jan

Yup, it looks like we have now isolated the problem, it floats to the right about 1/4". The problem is, what is the fix?

According to the developers, it's still a limitation of the software, Teresa. Your idea may be the best for now: set it within about 1/4" of the desired final location, save the layout, let it make it's move, don't resave the layout, and hope it stays fixed for a while. That's working pretty well for me now, but I may go back to a rightside docked bar and not have to worry about it.

Virginia

I'm still playing with my layout, but until I start using more custom features, I'll probably stick with this one. Oh, and my laptop screen size is 1920 x 1200, so I have plenty of room to add more.post-8422-1167563916_thumb.jpg

OK, this is quite fun. I had to join in, especially since now it's taught me how to use PrtSc.

This is my newest main layout for the new laptop. All my layouts got their start from some that were posted somewhere online as .lo files. This means that mine actually has toolbar stuff that I don't fully understand and use, as I haven't really gotten into toolbars. However, I like getting the colors and layout set up nicely. (I note that I haven't yet gotten rid of the Windows Gray for windows in general. I had a nice Wedgewood blue on my previous laptop.) Anyhow, I like to have lots of space to see the individual's events and their siblings and children. My pioneer relatives tended to have a lot of siblings and children... My laptop screen is 1400 x 1050.

The accents are blue for dead people, yellow for living, lavender for ancestors. (Not shown here, but people whose living status is unknown are dark green and nonliving "people" like townships are brown.)

post-2207-1171103480_thumb.jpg

Karla

This is my layout, I am really into colour coding. My ancestors are highlighted in orange, if they are emigrants I used the orange with green fonts. Siblings are coded pink (this may change) and spouses (non-ancestral) are lavender.

post-3221-1171245061_thumb.jpg

I have changed a few things since my last post so I thought I would post the new layouts.

This is the main layout I use most of the time. I usually have other things open on the other monitor that I want to see while TMG is open, so I use this one about 90% of the time.

post-5405-1171564348_thumb.jpg

When I am working with Focus groups and such, I usually have no need to access apps on the second monitor easily, so I have this layout setup to take full advantage of my dual monitor setup.

The split between the monitors is between the flag/image windows and the details window.

post-5405-1171564452_thumb.jpg

I have been playing around with the color schemes and I am not real happy with any of them. The one in these pictures is the Brickyard scheme that comes with TMG. It and the Steel Chiffon are the only two I can tolerate. :rolleyes:

So I want to see some custom color schemes from you people!! :D

I'm no good with that kind of stuff.

Hmmm, maybe I should make a different thread for that.

Here's one I've been using lately for inputting data from census and other on-line sources:

Note that it's short and wide, so I can the census or other source open across the top and see the full width of that record. Ancestry's new "full screen" mode makes that work better.

Also, note that TMG runs off the bottom of the screen - there's enough showing to use the Add Person screen (without the citation field and buttons at the bottom visible - I use F4 and F9 instead of the buttons, so don't need them in view) and Tag Entry screens.

I've moved the Flag window, normally at the bottom, to the far right so I can access it without bringing TMG up further. That's especially handy when using Copy Person to add siblings, and sometimes needing to access the Sex Flag.

Terry,

Got to get you a second monitor. <G> My laptop holds TMG, and then I have census, Email, and sometimes a second IE window on the second monitor. Boy do I miss that at the library or when I am working from bed watching TV.

You bottom where all the software open looks like mine though. We just can have enough open can we?

David,

I usually play with the colors in Control Panel and change them there. I am more of a pastel colored person and currently am using Purple. I tried a bright red one for Valentines day, but it gave me migraines.

So here's my dual monitor layout in lavendar.

post-101-1171589360_thumb.jpg

The accents are Green is my MIL's ancestors. Yellow is people with 1850 census tags. Purple is people who have census tags and are my MIL's ancestors.

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Teresa,

First thing, my name is Matt not David. :P

Thanks for posting that color scheme.

I have a few ideas for one, and I will post them tomorrow if they come out OK.

BTW, take a closer look at the dual screen shot I posted.

You will notice a taskbar on each monitor. I couldn't live without that.

How did I do that?

A little program called UltraMon.

Best little widget to come along since sliced bread.

Their site is here.

Terry,

You need another monitor. Once you've had dual monitors, you'll never go back.

I do desktop support for a very large company, and we never have any qualms about buying a user a second monitor and setting it up.

It will pay for itself in no time due to increased productivity.

Edited by Matt_G

Sorry Matt, where did I get David?

I agree about the second monitor. I got mine for Christmas and I don't know how I got along without it. Actually I've had two for a while. The one I was using was older and smaller (screen wise). It weighed about 14 lbs. This one is so lightweight. Having census on one screen and TMG on another is such a big help in gettind data entered accurately.

I think I am going to go with this color scheme for a while. :)

post-5405-1171606992_thumb.jpg

I just loaded the Steel Chiffon scheme, left the list color alone and changed the window background to:

R = 90

G = 130

B = 173

I may mess with the list color as well, maybe a little more grayish or silverish. Don't know yet.

BTW, most of those flags were created today. That's why they are set to ?

I have a BUNCH of LOP reports to run tomorrow to set these things. :wallbash:

Edited by Matt_G

Matthew

Thanks for giving the the name of the UltraMon site

For now I've enclosed the single monitor view - still under the influence of TMG4 - but it suits my purpose.

Will add the double monitor view once I get UltraMon up and running

Dave

post-797-1171746091_thumb.jpg

BTW, take a closer look at the dual screen shot I posted.

You will notice a taskbar on each monitor. I couldn't live without that.

How did I do that?

A little program called UltraMon.

Best little widget to come along since sliced bread.

Their site is here.

As promised my dual screen mode - not so much a TMG layouts picture, more to let you all see what can be done with dual monitors and plenty of memory

Dave

post-797-1172163737_thumb.jpg

Makes me wish I had room for a third monitor. <G> I love the idea of having your pictures open like that. I wish I had that many old family photos to display. Someone needs to start a site where we can just upload and copy old family pictures. Think if you could search for your great grandparents and find copies of pictures you 2nd cousins have that you have never seen.

Someone needs to start a site where we can just upload and copy old family pictures. Think if you could search for your great grandparents and find copies of pictures you 2nd cousins have that you have never seen.

Teresa,

Take a look at this site. I think it would suit your purpose just fine.

They will let you have 5GB of space for free.

If you need more space, you can get it at a reasonable price.

You can make folders/files accessible to the general public, a few select people or just yourself as you see fit.

It's a great place to just keep a backup of important stuff as well.

Makes me wish I had room for a third monitor. <G> I love the idea of having your pictures open like that. I wish I had that many old family photos to display. Someone needs to start a site where we can just upload and copy old family pictures. Think if you could search for your great grandparents and find copies of pictures you 2nd cousins have that you have never seen.

Guess I'd better set up my second monitor :rolleyes: Meanwhile, this has been a real education reading all the postings in this thread. Theresa, when are you going to do a video tutorial for setting up a custom toolbar? I've got a TMG User Group set up as a subgroup of our Computer User Group's Genealogy SIG and it would be a wonderful tutorial to have for that! Of course, I wouldn't mind it for myself either :D

I'm not attaching a shot of my layout as I've got some ideas I need to try first then I'll post my updated one thanks to various ideas you've all given me.

Thanks for sharing all the neat setups!

B)

Joan

Reply to Post 13 by DeAnna Burghart.

:D My Name is Shannon, I was viewing your Layout and Found a new cousin. Godfrey Ashe #595 in your picklist is in my family tree. I can be reached at the following addy: shannonlcarpenter@yahoo.com. You can view his page here>>Family group Page for Godfrey Ashe

Edited by shannonlcarpenter

That's elegant, Shannon. One of the nicest color combinations I've seen.

Virginia

:blush: ty. I am a new TMG user, and am off to find out how they do the custumized toolbar. One questioon does tmg support a List of marriages by MRIN like Legacy?