GenerationGoneBy

My new favorite layout

Sharon,

A custom toolbar is simple and though it does use floorspace, it is so worth it.

I started by surfing the Internet to see if I could find free Icons that I would always associate with the same tag. For instance, We always associate a skull and crossbones with death, so that is the Icon for my Death tag.

Now go to VIEW>TOOLBARS and at the bottom is Customize. There are many things you can add to your toolbar, mine is for the most part my Master Tag Type List. It is so easy to click a button instead of going to ADD>ADD TAG and then picking it from the list.

So pick the first tag you want to add to the button. I prefered to have tags grouped together by what they were designed for, so I started with the FIND A PERSON BY ID button. Luckily for me it was already in the List of Unused buttons, so I just scrolled down until I found Search by ID and added it to the list. There was already an ICON in TMG for it, so I used that one. Once I got ready to do tags, I started with the CENSUS. I have a tag for each census year 1790-2000. So I found ADD A TAG OF A SPECIFIC TYPE towards the bottom of the list, and then for the button type, I put 1790 in the text field. I couldn't find a button I liked that took up less space than 4 letters would so for the census, I just used the year. I also have a NAME tag for each census year, so after the 1790 census button is a Name Tag. I found a name tag Icon I liked online, and scaled it to fit TMG icon sizes, and used it. I continued on for each census year and census name tag. I find it easier to have the name tag on a button where when I click, it creates that name tag, with the right name style (I am very into customizing TMG and have name styles for each census year as well. )

Continue doing this adding tags, or reporting buttons, or searching buttons until what you use MOST in TMG is on the toolbar. Now when I add a new tag, I automatically add it to the toolbar. I am constantly looking for icons that go with certain tag types. Because my toolbar is large, I needed a way to create dividers between tag types. So I use a TOGGLE STATUS BAR btton, and use an ARROW1.bmp from TMG to separate the different tag types. It just makes the toolbar easier to navigate. For tags that I haven't found a good icon for, I just use text, trying to keep it short and sweet. You can use Tooltips to make a longer message to help you remember what a button is for.

Here's what it looks like:

post-101-1196024507_thumb.jpg

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Now that Version 7 has been released, let's see some layouts utlilizing some the new features. :)

I'm expecting to be wowed by Teresa within the next few days. :P

I'll post my layout in the next couple of days. I haven't settled on anything yet.

Edit:

Guess I really should have started a new thread in the V7 forum.

Edited by Matt_G

Yes, I have a few outlaws. Actually I do have one ancestor who was accused of stealing a horse after the civil war. He claims he was just nursing it back to health. I don't see making a new tag type as being all that difficult, so I will create a new tag and roles anytime I find data to support at least one.

...I don't see making a new tag type as being all that difficult, so I will create a new tag and roles anytime I find data to support at least one...

I can't resist the opportunity to point out the ease of making new tags and roles. I completely agree with Teresa. Heck, there is always something available to Copy, Rename, and Edit to say exactly whatever is needed. There is always that possibility that I will only use the tag/role one time, but the tag/role is there if I need it and the possibility that I will use it once seems to be remote at this point. I'm not saying that everyone needs to make a gazillion tags and a bazillion roles -- just don't be timid about experimenting with what you can do with tags and roles.