Buzz

Segregating part of a date set.

Dear Forum,

I want to remove from my data set the parents and siblings for my GG Grandfather because I am longer satisfied with the original evidence that placed them in the data set on the first place.

Rather than just deleting these people I'd like to retain the group - parents marriage, other children's birth/baptism etc. - in a new data set just in case I later find more compelling evidence that they were the correct members of the Tree in the first place.

What is the procedure for transferring this group into a new data set and removing them from the original data set?

Thanks,

Buzz.

Dear Forum,

I want to remove from my data set the parents and siblings for my GG Grandfather because I am longer satisfied with the original evidence that placed them in the data set on the first place.

Rather than just deleting these people I'd like to retain the group - parents marriage, other children's birth/baptism etc. - in a new data set just in case I later find more compelling evidence that they were the correct members of the Tree in the first place.

What is the procedure for transferring this group into a new data set and removing them from the original data set?

Thanks,

Buzz.

You could use a flag, then set an accent to show then in a different colour. That way they remain in the same data set. If you do a search for data set, you will probably see some posts saying keep all info in 1 data set. I used to have 4 data sets for different branches of the same family, but i have now moved them into 1 data set with flags and accents, which is easier.

There are a couple of ways. The easiest is probably:

1. Open Data Set Manager (File menu) and Add a new Data Set.

2. Collect all the people you want to move into a Focus Group.

3. Use the Edit > Move Person(s) command to move everyone in the Focus Group to the new Data Set.

However, I wouldn't do that. It's better, in my view, to leave them there as Shaundm suggests. If you want to be able to easily identify them, create a custom Flag and set it for them. Then, use the flag to Accent them in a distinctive color so you can easily recognize them in various screens. See my article on Accents for details.

There are a couple of ways. The easiest is probably:

1. Open Data Set Manager (File menu) and Add a new Data Set.

2. Collect all the people you want to move into a Focus Group.

3. Use the Edit > Move Person(s) command to move everyone in the Focus Group to the new Data Set.

However, I wouldn't do that. It's better, in my view, to leave them there as Shaundm suggests. If you want to be able to easily identify them, create a custom Flag and set it for them. Then, use the flag to Accent them in a distinctive color so you can easily recognize them in various screens. See my article on Accents for details.

Thanks Terry,

I'll follow yours and Shaundm's advice.

I note that in "Getting the most out of TMG" there is a recommendation to have a dummy (practice) data set established. I guess I could follow your steps above, with a copy instead of move command, to build a small data set as a learning tool.

I will review your article on 'accents.'

Thanks,

Buzz

Thanks Terry,

I'll follow yours and Shaundm's advice.

You're welcome, Buzz. :)

I note that in "Getting the most out of TMG" there is a recommendation to have a dummy (practice) data set established. I guess I could follow your steps above, with a copy instead of move command, to build a small data set as a learning tool.

Actually, for a practice data set, I'd recommend a totally new project. That way, you have zero chance of messing up your working data with experiments. And, if you should decide the practice data has gotten too messed up for further use, just delete the whole project and start again with a clean slate.

You could create it by making a copy of the people into another data set, then coping that project. But it may be easier in this case to put the people you want in the practice data in a focus group, then use the Secondary output of the List of People report to create a new project with those same people. Or, what I do, just make a copy of the whole project and use it.

You're welcome, Buzz. :)

Actually, for a practice data set, I'd recommend a totally new project. That way, you have zero chance of messing up your working data with experiments. And, if you should decide the practice data has gotten too messed up for further use, just delete the whole project and start again with a clean slate.

You could create it by making a copy of the people into another data set, then coping that project. But it may be easier in this case to put the people you want in the practice data in a focus group, then use the Secondary output of the List of People report to create a new project with those same people. Or, what I do, just make a copy of the whole project and use it.

Dear Terry,

I have now, as you suggested, copied my main project as a new data set for practice purposes with its specific file name.

Let’s suppose in my practice set I make significant changes to an individual like new tags etc and I’m happy with the result. How do I transfer this modified individual to the primary file to replace the original person?

By the way I have read both your articles on flags and Accents and found your information very easy to follow and useful.

Regards,

Buzz.

I have now, as you suggested, copied my main project as a new data set for practice purposes with its specific file name.

You say "new data set" but it sounds like that data set is in a new Project, which is what I suggested.

Let’s suppose in my practice set I make significant changes to an individual like new tags etc and I’m happy with the result. How do I transfer this modified individual to the primary file to replace the original person?

I'm afraid there is no reasonable way to do that.

If you created a second Data Set within your working Project for the practice, you could copy the person with the new tags. But, you would then have to either merge the two copies of that person or reconnect all the relationships and joint tags. Either is error prone.

As is having your practice data in the working project - there is great potential for entering new data in the practice data set rather than the real one.

I think the best solution is to open two copies of TMG side-by side, with the practice data open in one copy and the working data in the other. Then manually copy whatever you did that you like in the practice data to the working data. Windows Copy and Paste works fine between the two copies of TMG.

By the way I have read both your articles on flags and Accents and found your information very easy to follow and useful.

Thanks for the kind words. I try to make it useful and understandable. :)

You say "new data set" but it sounds like that data set is in a new Project, which is what I suggested.

I'm afraid there is no reasonable way to do that.

If you created a second Data Set within your working Project for the practice, you could copy the person with the new tags. But, you would then have to either merge the two copies of that person or reconnect all the relationships and joint tags. Either is error prone.

As is having your practice data in the working project - there is great potential for entering new data in the practice data set rather than the real one.

I think the best solution is to open two copies of TMG side-by side, with the practice data open in one copy and the working data in the other. Then manually copy whatever you did that you like in the practice data to the working data. Windows Copy and Paste works fine between the two copies of TMG.

Thanks for the kind words. I try to make it useful and understandable. :)

Thanks for your helpful suggestion,

Buzz