dadempsey

v. 6.10-11 performance problem

After patching to 6.10 and 6.11, TMG is incredibly slow opening an existing citation, opening the window to add a citation, or clicking on the sentence button. Often times the window that opens won't even have focus. Also, opening the last project upon startup is much slower than before. I've tried the the Reindex/Optimize/VFI routine a couple of times, but it doesn't help.

I have a 3GHz Pentium with 1.5GB of RAM, so I don't think my hardware's the problem. That and I didn't have the problem before.

After patching to 6.10 and 6.11, TMG is incredibly slow opening an existing citation, opening the window to add a citation, or clicking on the sentence button. Often times the window that opens won't even have focus. Also, opening the last project upon startup is much slower than before. I've tried the the Reindex/Optimize/VFI routine a couple of times, but it doesn't help.

I have a 3GHz Pentium with 1.5GB of RAM, so I don't think my hardware's the problem. That and I didn't have the problem before.

I have experienced no degradation in performance in any of these functions or any other area with the 6.11 update. Have used TMG a lot since update.

Have a 3.4 GHz Pentium with 500 MB RAM, Windows XP Home Ed.

The only thing I can think of is to DEFRAG your disk. I do so regularly.

If you haven't done so in a while, execute DEFRAG when you won't need your computer for a long time, like bedtime or when leaving for work.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

I'd love to say that defragmenting my hard drive fixed everything, but I can't since it didn't. :(

This isn't a big database, under 1100 people and less than 250 sources.

The only thing I can think of that might have affected performance was that I told it to go ahead and apply the language updates, which I don't think I've done in the past as I don't use any languages except my own. I've since gone into File->Languages and deleted all the extras except English (U.S.) and English2. Then optimized/reindexed/VFI, etc. No change.

It takes about half a minute to open my project, now, and adding or editing a citation takes 5-15 seconds to pull up. These were virtually instantaneous in v6.9. Repeating the task results in no speed improvement so it's not as if it works okay once the data is in cache. To me, it feels like a couple of key column indexes are no longer in my database definition. That would explain the slowness (table scans instead of keyed reads) and why reindexing isn't fixing the problem (the index definition isn't there to re-apply).

Thanks for taking a stab at it,

David

Try this. With TMG closed... Go to the program folder and delete strings.cdx. Run TMG and that will trigger a strings reindex. Then check the performance issues.

Jim, I'm sorry to say that it didn't affect the performance at all, other than it took a moment or two longer before presenting the splash screen.

I did some more rigorous timings:

Open the project: 38 seconds.

Add/Edit a citation: 12 seconds.

Is there any kind of trace option I could turn on that would create a log that would help Customer Support?

Thanks,

David

The stars must have shifted their alignments, everything is as speedy as it should be. I just started the program up last night, for the first time in a few nights, and everything is working fine. No patches applied, reboots or anything. It's just working fine now.

:blink:

Must've been sunspot activity...or something.