iamken

Sentence Structure

I have a sentence like this, [P] <was an original settler|and [PO] were original settler's> that founded <[L]>

however I would like it to print out like this if [P] is a male or "female" and there was no [PO].

He or "She" was an original settler that founded <[L]>

And if there was both

They were original settlers of <[L]>

In otherwords is there an "if" command or something Similar?

Is there anyway I can do this?

Thanks

Kenny

I have a sentence like this, [P] that founded

however I would like it to print out like this if [P] is a male or "female" and there was no [PO].

He or "She" was an original settler that founded

And if there was both

They were original settlers of

Thanks

Kenny

The construct is already an "if" command which can be used for what you want. If you use [P] and this is the first variable in the TMG sentence, an appropriate pronoun is used for all sentences after the first within that same person’s text narrative grouping unless this substitution is suppressed by the ’+’. However, rather than relying on this automated behavior for [P] I can think of a way to 'force' the sentence to He/She, but you will need to do this to the global Tag Type Definition for that tag, not for a single instantiation of a tag. For a custom tag, say Settlers, in the Tag Type Definition on the Roles and Sentences tab, select the role Principal. You will see two possible sentence structures, one for Male and one for Female. Try these two sentences:

In Male: that founded [L]

In Female: that founded [L]

The key is that the construct uses “part1” when there is one Principal and “part2” when there are two Principals assigned to this tag even if there are no sentence variables like [P] or [PO] inside the conditional construct. A very nice feature.

I have a sentence like this, [P] <was an original settler|and [PO] were original settler's> that founded <[L]>

He or "She" was an original settler that founded <[L]>

And if there was both

They were original settlers of <[L]>

Thanks

Kenny

Thanks Michael

That does it, I already had created custom Tags for all the villages so redoing them took a few seconds.

Kenny