vadams

Chat room

I got plenty of views but no answer. Is this question too stupid? I am having trouble negotiating this site. I am not intuitive with computers like everyone else seems to be. :(

I think the problem is that no one knows what the problem is.

When I try to use the chat link at the bottom of the "Other" section of this forum I get a screen with the label "Wholly Genes Chat Room" at the top and a space to enter a nickname. Nothing about which room - there is only one.

Exactly how are you getting to the chat room?

Are you using Internet Explorer or another browser? I know there is a problem using Opera, but it's different than you describe.

I go to My Controls, then to the bottom of the page I choose Chat Room. I get a large blue box with two windows: Nickname and Room. Across partially the top are 8 small gray boxes. The big blue box is labeled "ChatSpace Client 4.0.0.320 1998-2004 Akiva Corp http://www.akiva.com."

I think I downloaded something I shouldn't have. When I first tried the chat room I got a message asking if I wanted to download a Chat Client. I thought it was necessary for the TMG chat room.

I noticed Opera on my list of programs. Should I blow it away? I am using IE6.0 for browsing.

Vic Adams

Edited by vadams

I go to My Controls, then to the bottom of the page I choose Chat Room.  I get a large blue box with two windows: Nickname and Room.

I'm not sure what you got to, but you were definately at the wrong place. :o

Start at the main page for the Wholly Genes Community. You should see large four boxes, each with a number of items in them:

- New and Information

- Support forums

- Other

- Board Statistics

Scroll down to the "Other" box, then look for the Chat Room item, the last one in that group. Click that link to go to the WG chat room.

I noticed Opera on my list of programs.  Should I blow it away?

Definately not. In my opinion it's one of the best browsers around. I use it all the time, and much prefer it to IE. But there are a few sites, like the WG Chat Room, that don't work with it, so I use another browser for them.

I go to My Controls, then to the bottom of the page I choose Chat Room.  I get a large blue box with two windows: Nickname and Room.  Across partially the top are 8 small gray boxes.  The big blue box is labeled "ChatSpace Client 4.0.0.320  1998-2004 Akiva Corp  http://www.akiva.com."

I think I downloaded something I shouldn't have.  When I first tried the chat room I got a message asking if I wanted to download a Chat Client.  I thought it was necessary for the TMG chat room.

I noticed Opera on my list of programs.  Should I blow it away?  I am using IE6.0 for browsing.

Vic Adams

You do need to download that Akiva software. It takes a minute or two and then you should get a large blue box with a place for your nickname. Enter a name and then click on Connect. The following is from the newsletter which announced the forum.

"When you see the security warning, click on or . Then be patient because it could take 30 seconds or more (especially on a dial-up connection) to load the necessary chat tools. When prompted, simply enter a chat nickname and then click on Connect. That's all there is to it. We hope to see you there!"

I just tried it, with IE6 and it worked fine.

Virginia

I got plenty of views but no answer.  Is this question too stupid?  I am having trouble negotiating this site.  I am not intuitive with computers like everyone else seems to be. :(

A forum like this takes a little getting used to. It is not live - like a Chat room where people exchange messages. There is a Chat room but I rarely see people there except when there is a scheduled Wholly Genes chat - like this Saturday night. In a forum, you post questions and other users (or in this forum someone from the Wholly Genes staff) will post answers. If you have a question about TMG5, you would go to that section and click on Post to write your message.

You've been communicating just fine so far - so maybe you're more intuitive than you think!

Virginia

I tried what you said Terry and got the same results. I guess I just won't go into the chat room.

Virginia,

There is no connect button on my blue box. There is a invisible button in the center that takes me to chatrooms all over etherspace.

Edited by vadams