dreward

Medical spam on the increase?

I'm sorry to have to re-post this complaint, particularly as the last post I wrote 10 days ago on this subject seemed to have been "wiped" and never appeared in the list of messages. Not that I mind it being wiped, just that I would have liked a reply to say something was being done about this medical spam.

Since then I have received a further 4 identical messages and I'm getting a little bit tired of them. They certainly don't appear in the list of new messages so why am I getting them. I run two anti-spam programs but figuring a filter for this is not at all easy.

Please, if the board-administrator is watching, will he reply???

Dave

Copy of message:

[Edited by moderator]

I'm sorry to have to re-post this complaint, particularly as the last post I wrote 10 days ago on this subject seemed to have been "wiped" and never appeared in the list of messages. Not that I mind it being wiped, just that I would have liked a reply to say something was being done about this medical spam.

Since then I have received a further 4 identical messages and I'm getting a little bit tired of them. They certainly don't appear in the list of new messages so why am I getting them. I run two anti-spam programs but figuring a filter for this is not at all easy.

When such a message appears on the forum, a moderator deletes it and bans the author. I'd be interested to know what more you think we could do to predict who will post a spam message so that we can prevent it. The alternative is to have someone moderate/approve every posted message before is visible on the forum. I think that would be an extreme reaction that would have a much more negative impact on the average user.

The only way that you'd be getting forum messages by email at all is if you subscribe to a forum or topic. They "don't appear in the list of new messages" because we've generally deleted them by the time you go looking for them. If you want to cancel an email subscription to a forum or topic, you can do so through "My Controls"in the top-right corner of the screen.

Nobody has deleted any message from you here as far as I know ... but repeating the spam in your own message (as you did this time) is a good way to get it deleted.

When such a message appears on the forum, a moderator deletes it and bans the author. I'd be interested to know what more you think we could do to predict who will post a spam message so that we can prevent it. The alternative is to have someone moderate/approve every posted message before is visible on the forum. I think that would be an extreme reaction that would have a much more negative impact on the average user.

The only way that you'd be getting forum messages by email at all is if you subscribe to a forum or topic. They "don't appear in the list of new messages" because we've generally deleted them by the time you go looking for them. If you want to cancel an email subscription to a forum or topic, you can do so through "My Controls"in the top-right corner of the screen.

Nobody has deleted any message from you here as far as I know ... but repeating the spam in your own message (as you did this time) is a good way to get it deleted.

Bob

Thank you for your reply. Firstly, I am not "au fait" with the technicalities of forum messaging but when you say the moderator deletes a spam message and the author, I understand this to mean no more messages from this author will get through. I have received 6 in the last 7 weeks all from the same address and all identical. Obviously the message sender knows how to get round all the normal controls.

No, I would not advocate that each message be checked before being released.

And yes I did, unintentionally I might add, have the box ticked on Site Issues - my mistake, must have been a senior moment.

Cheers

Dave