Grimesgang

US Census Source

I'm curious about something shown in Terry's TMG Tips, but I put it out here because I figure the structure came from either requests or researcher experience.

How important is the Enumeration District (or ED) as part of a US Census source reference? Most of my research work has been in older censuses (1880 and older), where it seems like the ED coincides with the state. To date I have not kept that information. I have been more concerned with page number(s), dwelling and house numbers, and even the household's starting line number than the ED. Are there multiple ED's on a single roll of film? Does the general research populace (all of you out there) use this normally?

I use E.D. (and sometimes S.D. in large cities) simply because it is often possible to mis-read page numbers. It's rare that it would actually make a difference with my data, but being in the habit means that when it would make a difference, the information is there.

In addition, knowing the E.D. in one year can make it easier to locate a family in previous years. For instance, the 1910 census requries a street address to locate a family in many large cities in order to locate the E.D. If you've got an E.D. from a previous census year, sites like this one will help you locate an entry in previous years.

For census entries prior to 1910, it matters less in my experience, but I generally record any and all information that would help me identify the record. My exception is that I have taken to discarding the line numbers unless the family and dwelling numbers are likely to be confused. At that level, the line numbers usually become redundant, and it becomes tedious to change the line number in every single CD (and thus to read it in every footnote).

I quit using the ED and SD, simply because I found it nearly impossible to find the same page just from those two. I now record the Civil District (mostly use TN census) and the page number. I can easily find a family with that information as most of the online services allow you to browse by the Civil District.

I use the Enumeration District for the 1880-1930 U.S. Census because:

My census tags provide for it;

I'm in the habit; and

Elizabeth Shown Mills shows it in her book Evidence!.