Grimesgang

Margins in Narratives

Can the margins in reports, particularly the narrative reports, be controlled for a portion of the text? I have a tag for Obituary, where the text of the obit is put into the tag memo area. I know how to put the obit into a new paragraph, so to speak (two [:CR:] can do that), and I make it in Italics to help set it off from the other text. However, it would look better, and be structurally more correct, if I could indent both margins somewhat, showing the obit essentially as an extended quote structure. I did not see anything in the Getting the Most Out of TMG book, but perhaps someone out there has a trick for this.

I know I can send the report out to MS Word for structuring like this, but the more TMG can handle such things within its own code, the better, at least in my book.

Can the margins in reports, particularly the narrative reports, be controlled for a portion of the text? I have a tag for Obituary, where the text of the obit is put into the tag memo area. I know how to put the obit into a new paragraph, so to speak (two [:CR:] can do that), and I make it in Italics to help set it off from the other text. However, it would look better, and be structurally more correct, if I could indent both margins somewhat, showing the obit essentially as an extended quote structure. I did not see anything in the Getting the Most Out of TMG book, but perhaps someone out there has a trick for this.

I know I can send the report out to MS Word for structuring like this, but the more TMG can handle such things within its own code, the better, at least in my book.

Sounds like a good excuse to download the new release of OpenOffice.org writer to read up on "Styles".

Sounds like a good excuse to download the new release of OpenOffice.org writer to read up on "Styles".

Translation? Can this be an add-on or external utility to TMG?

Translation? Can this be an add-on or external utility to TMG?

MS Word dominates the Text Editor and Office Suite market.

If you currently have a recent version of MS Word and are familiar with *Styles* (see help in MS Word) you may already be using the feature to create and select from different paragraph setups within Word documents. If not, see MS Word Help on the subject of Styles.

But if you only have an older version of MS Word, it may be worthwhile to download the free Office Suite software application from the OpenOffice.org web site. (200 mb!!!). OOo Writer, the text editor in this suite handles paragraph styles somewhat differently from MS Word, but the competition has resulted in better paragraph style control in both programs in recent years.

The Style feature of either program may help with the margin changes you desire.

MS Word dominates the Text Editor and Office Suite market.

If you currently have a recent version of MS Word and are familiar with *Styles* (see help in MS Word) you may already be using the feature to create and select from different paragraph setups within Word documents. If not, see MS Word Help on the subject of Styles.

But if you only have an older version of MS Word, it may be worthwhile to download the free Office Suite software application from the OpenOffice.org web site. (200 mb!!!). OOo Writer, the text editor in this suite handles paragraph styles somewhat differently from MS Word, but the competition has resulted in better paragraph style control in both programs in recent years.

The Style feature of either program may help with the margin changes you desire.

Actually, I think you missed the point of my original question. I already know I can do it in MS Word. It isn't difficult. I want to know if there's a way to do it within TMG.

(BTW, I looked at the OpenOffice.org site. That looks very interesting, and if I didn't already have a copy of MS Office, I would probably try the OO suite of products.)

Actually, I think you missed the point of my original question. I already know I can do it in MS Word. It isn't difficult. I want to know if there's a way to do it within TMG.

Maybe.

It is my understanding that

The Master Genealogist makes

heavy use of "leading spaces"

in the Descendant Indented Chart.

Perhaps you could try using

U+00A0(0xA0):No-Break Space(s)

in your other reports.

Good luck,

John

Editing Note: There was a thread on non-breaking spaces on the TMG-L list a couple of years ago. I believe it concerned HTML web pages. It was both educational and confusing to me because most (USA) users referred to Alt+0160 as the required keystroke, but one user claimed it had to be Alt+416. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

Turned out the user of Alt+416 as a non-breaking space was using a computer and keyboard set up in English/Hebrew in Israel. (An extra 8 bits worth of characters were added to 160 to make it 416) However, it may be that Win XP will remap Alt+160 as a NBS in languages and keyboard setups used by most TMG users. FWIW.

Alt+160

Edited by John Moran