coolgarra

Individual Narrative - tag printing

I need some help with Individual Narrative. For some people I have a tag where the information is hidden (I have tried both [HID:] and using "-"), and when I print the Individual Narrative it puts in an orphan 'She.' or 'He.' (I have also tried making the tag not primary). For example, I have a cousin who committed suicide and have a NOTE tag with the information hidden, and although it doesn't print it, I get the following:

Margaret XXXXX (761) was born on 29 Jul 1958 at Wherever, Qld. She. She died on 15 Feb 1975 at Wherever, Qld, aged 16.

The 'She.' is from the NOTE tag. How can I set up the report so that this does not happen?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Chris

The problem is that you have hidden the data field, probably the Memo, but left the sentence, which is something like:

[P]

So the [P] variable produces the "She" and all the rest of the fields are empty (or appear so because their contents are hidden) so nothing else prints.

Some solutions:

1. Change the sentence to an exclusion marker. Then nothing will print.

2. Create a custom tag type for your hidden comments, and in the report definition, choose "selected" tag types, and don't select that tag type.

The problem is that you have hidden the data field, probably the Memo, but left the sentence, which is something like:

[P] <[M]> <[D]> <[L]>

So the [P] variable produces the "She" and all the rest of the fields are empty (or appear so because their contents are hidden) so nothing else prints.

Some solutions:

1. Change the sentence to an exclusion marker. Then nothing will print.

2. Create a custom tag type for your hidden comments, and in the report definition, choose "selected" tag types, and don't select that tag type.

Thanks very much Terry! Solution 1 worked a treat. I had previously tried to delete the sentence structure completely but it kept coming back.

You're welcome, Chris. :)

If you delete the tag sentence the default sentence for the tag type replaces it, as you found. That's the way you return to the default sentence, which of course doesn't help you in this situation.