MPL double exclusion

For various reasons I like to store data in the Place fields for

a tag but not have that field print. I use the Exclusion markers

(the dash '-') as provided by TMG, both single and double markers

depending upon whether I sometimes will want to print the field

(and use single) or never want to print the field in any reports

(and use double).

The problem is with the Master Place List (MPL). The fields with

single exclusion markers do display in the MPL (with the leading dash).

But the fields with double exclusion markers do not display at all

in the list, you have to open the place entry to see them.

Does anyone know if this is by design?? I also note that any data in

a place field that has double exclusion markers is ignored even when

that field is specified for sorting.

If it IS by design, it would be a big wish of mine to have such

data display in the MPL. I don't want to change its behavior

anywhere else, just want to *see* it in the MPL so I can quickly

tell that I have entered such data in that field.

The design rule has always been that double-excluded data only show on the edit screens -- Tag Entry and Edit Place.

However, the MPL is a place where users evaluate their place data to get the big picture. Having places with double-excluded data hidden makes that difficult.

I don't advocate displaying double-excluded data in the MPL but perhaps there should be an indicator to show that a place has double-excluded data. A marker for the row or coloring that row?

Better idea. Since the data is parsed to build the list, substituting a placeholder rather than omitting the double-excluded data would add little overhead. Something like:

"(--excluded)"

Edited by Jim Byram

Jim said: "I don't advocate displaying double-excluded data in the MPL..."

Well, I do! or at least an option to do so. Simply including a marker that indicates there is "some" excluded data in this field without displaying the data is not helpful to me. And what about it being ignored for the sort?

"The design rule has always been that double-excluded data only show on the edit screens -- Tag Entry and Edit Place."

I would claim that screens, such as the MPL, that are only viewable within TMG by the database owner should have some ability, perhaps a Preferences option, to show single and double excluded, and sensitive data.

Actually, for the way I am using Place fields I would personally not need this if Place Styles provided a method similar to Name Styles to specify multiple output templates, so long as I could have a different template for the Person/Family/Tree View from the report output template (which Name Styles do not currently permit).

So, thanks Jim, you did answer my specific question. Yes, it is by design. Well, shucks.

I would claim that screens, such as the MPL, that are only viewable within TMG by the database owner should have some ability, perhaps a Preferences option, to show single and double excluded, and sensitive data.

You understand that excluded and sensitive data can already be displayed in the MPL?

Preferences / Program Options / Tag Box / tick Show excluded data

You understand that excluded and sensitive data can already be displayed in the MPL?

Preferences / Program Options / Tag Box / tick Show excluded data

Yes, I knew that, and in my original post mentioned that I do see single excluded data in the MPL with its leading '-' (because I have that option set). However, the title of this option implies it only affects the display of the tag boxes, even though it also affects the master lists. Further, there is no (separate) option for double excluded. My issue is about the display in the master lists, not the display of tag details. Your earlier comment of
The design rule has always been that double-excluded data only show on the edit screens
is really the point. I consider all the master lists similar to an edit screen. For example, when I put my cursor in an empty L1 field of a tag and press F2, I get all entries showing all data, including both the single excluded and double excluded data. I believe that the MPL should have a similar display for searching its entries. While my preference would be to display all data in all master lists, my wish would be granted with new Program Options controlling the display just in the master lists of sensitive data, single excluded data and double excluded data.