I have a box ancestor chart in which I include Death Group Abbrev Date PlacePrep Place and Death Group Abbr Memo.If no Death date or place is known the lines don't show up. (Remove blank lines is checked.) However if the death date and place are known the memo line prints a "d." even if the memo is blank. I use the memo field for the cause of death, which I rarely have once I get past the 20th century. Is there a way to remove that line when it's blank or is the memo populated with spaces when a death is recorded?

Lori Bragg

Lori,

I think that you are the first person to notice this effect with a Memo. The logic within Visual Chartform as to when to show just the Abbrev is inconsistent. For any tag, the _very_ existence of a tag record independent of what fields are populated will always cause the Abbrev string to show on the chart. You can see this with a Marriage tag (no Date or Place but has a SortDate to force the correct Spouse sequence. In this case the m. is output in these cases.

The best solution is to make the Death Memo the last line to be output in any box (set in the Data Types tab of Chart Options). Then after creating the chart you can right click -> Remove Line on each appropriate box.

Sorry this is the best that is possible at the moment. May be you need to "make a wish" that a check box is added to the Data Types tab (for field by field use) or near the "Remove Empty Lines' check box to also "Remove Lines with no data".

I have a box ancestor chart in which I include Death Group Abbrev Date PlacePrep Place and Death Group Abbr Memo.If no Death date or place is known the lines don't show up. (Remove blank lines is checked.) However if the death date and place are known the memo line prints a "d." even if the memo is blank. I use the memo field for the cause of death, which I rarely have once I get past the 20th century. Is there a way to remove that line when it's blank or is the memo populated with spaces when a death is recorded?

Lori Bragg

You are using Death Group Abbr Memo this gives the abbreviation for the tag and then the memo.

If you used Death Group Memo it would not print the abbreviation - if it is on the line after the death date and place the missing abbreviation should not matter.

You are using Death Group Abbr Memo this gives the abbreviation for the tag and then the memo.

If you used Death Group Memo it would not print the abbreviation - if it is on the line after the death date and place the missing abbreviation should not matter.

Perfect! Thanks.

Lori