Neil Grantham

Missing surname, adding spouse

Does anyone else get this with 6.11?

On a person (Female) page, I clicked Add Husband, and put in his name (a new surname)

The Warning dialogue came up to say it was new did I want to add it to the database

However it just says

"is not among the known surnames in this project" instead of

"Stockdale is not .... etc etc"

Neil

Does anyone else get this with 6.11?

On a person (Female) page, I clicked Add Husband, and put in his name (a new surname)

The Warning dialogue came up to say it was new did I want to add it to the database

However it just says

"is not among the known surnames in this project" instead of

"Stockdale is not .... etc etc"

Neil

Hi, Neil,

I just tried to replicate this using TMG v6.11 US Version but didn't get this.

So a few questions and suggestions to test:

1) are you using the US version or the UK version?

2) if you do the same thing while using TMG's Sample Project do you get the same effect?

3) besides the somehow incomplete warning.... when you click on "Accept" on the warning screen and then check i. e. the Project Explorer is the name of the new added person sorted correctly?

4) have you recently used TMG's maintenance tools (Validate File Integrity - run it as many times as needed until it reports no errors - and Optimize)? If not I would suggest doing so.

Before I reply, how do I get the Test Project?

I unticked the box on the opening screen so I always get 'Last' project and can't seem to find how to get that screen back

I unticked the box on the opening screen so I always get 'Last' project and can't seem to find how to get that screen back

Hi, Neil,

open your project in TMG.

Then say i. e. File > Open Project .... now the window "Open Project File" appears.

At the top of it there is a field "Look in:" .... open the pull-dow menu for it and go i. e. to Program Files \ The Master Genealogist

From this path select the "sample" folder and there you will find the file "sample__.pjc" .... select it and say "Open".

To get back the "Welcome screen" go to File > Preferences > Program Options > Startup and Exit and then please check the box "Show Welcome Window" and say "OK"

To get the Welcome screen back: File > Preferences > Startup and Exit. Then you can select the Sample project from the Welcome screen.

Or - while you are in TMG, use: File > Open - go up one level to the TMG main folder and doubleclick on the Sample folder and click on 'sample.pjc'.

Is this the only message box (warning, prompt) that is truncated?

What is your screen resolution?

Virginia

Hi, Neil,

I just tried to replicate this using TMG v6.11 US Version but didn't get this.

So a few questions and suggestions to test:

1) are you using the US version or the UK version?

2) if you do the same thing while using TMG's Sample Project do you get the same effect?

3) besides the somehow incomplete warning.... when you click on "Accept" on the warning screen and then check i. e. the Project Explorer is the name of the new added person sorted correctly?

4) have you recently used TMG's maintenance tools (Validate File Integrity - run it as many times as needed until it reports no errors - and Optimize)? If not I would suggest doing so.

Answers so far

1 - UK Version 6.12 following this mornings update, and problem replicates, though I didn't reboot my PC after the update

2 - See earlier reply, trying to figure out how to get the Project wizard open again so I can open the sample project

3 - Yes, it sorts correctly, married names are changed as expected etc

4 - Yes, I had already tried that

Neil

To get the Welcome screen back: File > Preferences > Startup and Exit. Then you can select the Sample project from the Welcome screen.

Or - while you are in TMG, use: File > Open - go up one level to the TMG main folder and doubleclick on the Sample folder and click on 'sample.pjc'.

Is this the only message box (warning, prompt) that is truncated?

What is your screen resolution?

Virginia

Virginia, I will try this later, I updated to 6.12 thinking it might be one of the bug fixes but it is the same in the update (though as mentioned, I didn't reboot)

My Resolution is 1024x768, and this is the only dialogue so far I have spotted.

Answers so far

1 - UK Version 6.12 following this mornings update, and problem replicates, though I didn't reboot my PC after the update

2 - See earlier reply, trying to figure out how to get the Project wizard open again so I can open the sample project

3 - Yes, it sorts correctly, married names are changed as expected etc

4 - Yes, I had already tried that

Neil

Virginia, I will try this later, I updated to 6.12 thinking it might be one of the bug fixes but it is the same in the update (though as mentioned, I didn't reboot)

My Resolution is 1024x768, and this is the only dialogue so far I have spotted.

Is any part of your tmg window off screen (not visible in the monitor); not necessarily that message box off screen, but any part of your layout?

Do you get the same thing using the Standard (default) layout?

Virginia

Thanks a lot, Neil for the detailed answers....

so the next interesting thing will be if you see the same effect with TMG's Sample Project.

Thanks a lot, Neil for the detailed answers....

so the next interesting thing will be if you see the same effect with TMG's Sample Project.

To answer Vera and Virginia

I rebooted, same effect.

I opened the Sample Project, no change

I changed to Standard layout, ditto.

I have everything visible on screen (IE the dialogue box isn't partially hidden from view)

To answer Vera and Virginia

I rebooted, same effect.

I opened the Sample Project, no change

I changed to Standard layout, ditto.

I have everything visible on screen (IE the dialogue box isn't partially hidden from view)

Hmmm, could you please provide a screenshot which shows the "Add Person" screen as well as the somehow truncated message screen.

But please make sure that the message screen doesn't cover the "Add Person" screen - so it might be necessary to drag it a bit apart.

That would really be appreciated.

In your MS Windows Properties, what size font are you using?

Virginia

Virginia

I made no changes to the Font sizes when I changed to 1024x768, just accepted the defaults, for the record it is Tahoma 8pt.

Hmmm, could you please provide a screenshot which shows the "Add Person" screen as well as the somehow truncated message screen.

But please make sure that the message screen doesn't cover the "Add Person" screen - so it might be necessary to drag it a bit apart.

That would really be appreciated.

Here is a screen shot.

post-1357-1162854496_thumb.jpgBy the way, I have tried this on my laptop, same projects, and as far as I can tell, same prefs, and the name DOES appear on the dialogue!!!!

Edited by Neil Grantham

Virginia

I made no changes to the Font sizes when I changed to 1024x768, just accepted the defaults, for the record it is Tahoma 8pt.

Here is a screen shot.

tmg.JPGBy the way, I have tried this on my laptop, same projects, and as far as I can tell, same prefs, and the name DOES appear on the dialogue!!!!

It's such a strange problem. You could try unchecking that warning in Preferences, close TMG, reopen and reselect that warning. Wouldn't hurt to reset the Add Person template either (click the Setup button on the Add Person screen and then select Reset Template). Are you using any custom name styles by chance?

Virginia

It's such a strange problem. You could try unchecking that warning in Preferences, close TMG, reopen and reselect that warning. Wouldn't hurt to reset the Add Person template either (click the Setup button on the Add Person screen and then select Reset Template). Are you using any custom name styles by chance?

Virginia

Hmm!! Did both, and no change!

Not sure about 'Custom Name Styles'

On Preferences>Custom Styles, everything is greyed out

I guess by my reply, that either Custom Styles is not what you mean, or out of ignorance, I don't know how to create a Custom Name Style.

Where's the manual!!

Edited by Neil Grantham

The message on the warning comes from strings.dbf (the file that holds the language translations). If it does not print properly it suggests that the Uk langusge translation for that warning has been corrupted.

Did you install the new language translations when asked in the upgrade? Or have you modified the English UK language yourself and mistranslated that line?

The message on the warning comes from strings.dbf (the file that holds the language translations). If it does not print properly it suggests that the Uk langusge translation for that warning has been corrupted.

Did you install the new language translations when asked in the upgrade? Or have you modified the English UK language yourself and mistranslated that line?

Peter,

of course you are correct but default strings make no difference between "US / Original" strings and "UK" strings. :unsure:

So the default entry for both languages in strings is totally identical and reads... %##% is not among the known surnames in this project. .....

Anyway is worth checking...... no doubt. :)

So Neil,

while TMG is not running please go to the main directory where TMG is installed.

There you will find a file named STRINGS.CDX please delete that file. !! Please pay attention to the file extension !!

This is an index file that will be automatically recreated upon next TMG start.

Now start TMG and see whether that helped.

If not, then I would like to look at two other strings files which are also located in the same main directory where TMG is installed.

The names of those files are:

- strings.DBF

- strings.FPT

Please make a copy of both of them and attach them to an email.

You see my email address when you click here!

Hi, Neil,

forgot to thank you for the screenshot provided, sorry. :(

Could you please additionally provide two other ones also?

While you are on the "Add Person" screen please click on the Setup button at the lower left.

1) Now the screen "Add Person Template" appears - please make a screenshot of it.

From the "Add Person Template" screen please click on the "Style" button on the right side near the middle of that screen.

2) Now the screen "Master Style List" is visible - please make a screenshot of this one also.

Hi, Neil,

forgot to thank you for the screenshot provided, sorry. :(

Could you please additionally provide two other ones also?

While you are on the "Add Person" screen please click on the Setup button at the lower left.

1) Now the screen "Add Person Template" appears - please make a screenshot of it.

From the "Add Person Template" screen please click on the "Style" button on the right side near the middle of that screen.

2) Now the screen "Master Style List" is visible - please make a screenshot of this one also.

Vera

The fun continues. Renaming the file had no effect, so I am going to email the files you requested.

Meanwhile, here are the screenshots you asked for.

post-1357-1162917016_thumb.jpgpost-1357-1162917050_thumb.jpg

Neil :blink:

Vera

The fun continues. Renaming the file had no effect, so I am going to email the files you requested.

Meanwhile, here are the screenshots you asked for.

Neil,

thanks for the two files you sent me. I checked them in the meantime.

The entry in the strings.dbf is OK. So according to me it's not a strings issue.

BTW Hopefully you didn't rename the strings.CDX file instead of deleting it???

Next I checked the two screenshots you provided.

The screenshot of the "Master Style List" looks OK.

But not so with the "Add Person Template". The "labels" as well as the "pull-down" buttons / arrows for the data entry fields (which are then shown in the "Add Person" screen) should not be greyed-out!!

I've attached a screenshot of "my - Add Person Template" screen. This shows how it has to look like - nothing greyed-out in the "marked area".

Add_person_template.jpg

So for me this seems to be an installation issue since you also have this strange problem in TMG's Sample Project.

I would kindly suggest to do a fresh install of TMG i. e. by downloading and using the 30-day-trial Version of TMG.

This version needs to be unlocked after installation so you should make sure to have your unlock-key available.

Every time I upgrade point versions, I always answer No to the Language dialogue as I use nothing but UK English. Perhaps that's wrong?

Vera, that was a typo 'Rename' = I did delete the CDX file as mentioned.

I will re-install the whole shooting match later on this evening, must find my Install code first though.

Edited by Neil Grantham

Update.

Disaster. I downloaded the TMG6 UK version from the website and after uninstalling, I installed this version

I found my email with the Unlock code from way back when I purchased V5, but the Unlock screen says this is an expired Trial version.

When I enter my name, email and unlock code (I did both a copy/paste and manual entry) I get a screen saying this is Invalid data!!

I've emailed Support.

Any idea's?

Edited by Neil Grantham

Update.

Disaster. I downloaded the TMG6 UK version from the website and after uninstalling, I installed this version

I found my email with the Unlock code from way back when I purchased V5, but the Unlock screen says this is an expired Trial version.

When I enter my name, email and unlock code (I did both a copy/paste and manual entry) I get a screen saying this is Invalid data!!

I've emailed Support.

Any idea's?

You should have an unlock code from v6 (you mentioned v5 above), and you must use the same email address you used when you purchased v6. Version 6 came out 22 Dec 2004 if that would give you a clue to a place to look for the email.

Virginia

You should have an unlock code from v6 (you mentioned v5 above), and you must use the same email address you used when you purchased v6. Version 6 came out 22 Dec 2004 if that would give you a clue to a place to look for the email.

Virginia

:oops: Found my code, unlocked properly, and the problem is now fixed. Thanks to Virginia and Vera for persisting and responding very quickly! :D

:oops: Found my code, unlocked properly, and the problem is now fixed. Thanks to Virginia and Vera for persisting and responding very quickly! :D

Great news, Neil.

You're very welcome. :)