iThomas

What is the format of the language database ?

I'm trying to translate TMG to Swedish but getting errors when opening with my new language file. As I have edited the file with a homegrown program it's not suprising although it works by 90% - as most of the texts in TMG show up translated.

Nevertheless I'm still getting a couple of "Syntax error: 0 MAIN" when starting TMG and in some menus.

As I heard that the format is an Access DB I tried to open the file with MS Access but it doesn't recognized the format.

So the question is what exactly is the format of the language db ? :wacko:

If it's a TMG internal format I would be grateul for a description of it.

TIA

Thomas Berg

Edited by iThomas

The strings files are a FoxPro table just like all the other TMG DBF files.

You really need to talk to one of the translators who are the experts on the tools and methods used to implement a language in TMG. I wrote a message to the beta list asking if one of the translators would check this topic and get in touch with you.

Please note I should receive translations for tags too. It is important.

If the strings for the tags are included in the dbf-file You get when You do an "export" of a language, they will also be translated.

Thomas

If the strings for the tags are included in the dbf-file You get when You do an "export" of a language, they will also be translated.

Thomas

No, Thomas the tags are not included in the dbf-file when you do an "export" of a language.

Like much else necessary around tags they are part of the t-table for a project.

Do you want to provide Swedish sentences for the tags as well?

No, Thomas the tags are not included in the dbf-file when you do an "export" of a language.

Like much else necessary around tags they are part of the t-table for a project.

Do you want to provide Swedish sentences for the tags as well?

Yes.

(Is that the "Descendant Chart.rpt" file ?)

Thomas

Yes.

(Is that the "Descendant Chart.rpt" file ?)

Thomas

Hi, Thomas,

great that you are going to provide sentences as well.

Regarding the t-table:

No, I am very sorry but this has nothing to do with any chart file.

But I should have explained it in more detail, my fault, sorry. :(

Each project has a so called "t-table" i. e. named SAMPLE_T.DBF and this specific table refers to the Tag Types within TMG.

BTW Jim suggested in a previous message that it would probably be best to get in contact with one of the translators of TMG.

Could you already manage to do so?

Hi, Thomas,

great that you are going to provide sentences as well.

Regarding the t-table:

No, I am very sorry but this has nothing to do with any chart file.

But I should have explained it in more detail, my fault, sorry. :(

Each project has a so called "t-table" i. e. named SAMPLE_T.DBF and this specific table refers to the Tag Types within TMG.

BTW Jim suggested in a previous message that it would probably be best to get in contact with one of the translators of TMG.

Could you already manage to do so?

AFAICS, there is no dbf-file for the projec I use for testing (which is the sample project that is delivered with TMG). Furthermore, if this table/file is created for each project, there must be a "template" in Swedish (in this case) for that. Where is this "template" ?

About the "translators", I don't know who they are or how to get in contact with them, maybe You can help me with that ?

TIA

Thomas

Thomas,

What I would do is open TMG to the language customization screen and just work my way down the list. I am assuming that you are wanting a word for word translation, so you could use a text translator to put in the English word and then type in the Swedish word.

The sentences you would have to create yourself in the Master Tag Type list. I am not sure (haven't tried it) if TMG will translate the sentences from the text file. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

I have edited the language file just from one word in English to another word I liked better :) and it is very simple to use it within TMG.

AFAICS, there is no dbf-file for the projec I use for testing (which is the sample project that is delivered with TMG). Furthermore, if this table/file is created for each project, there must be a "template" in Swedish (in this case) for that. Where is this "template" ?

About the "translators", I don't know who they are or how to get in contact with them, maybe You can help me with that ?

TIA

Thomas

Hi, Thomas,

if you like contact me for more details about how to manage this. You'll see my email address when you click here!

By the way, Thomas,

while you are logged on to the forum click on "My Controls" (in the upper right part).

Then on the left you see a section named "Messenger" and within that one there is an "Inbox" which contains Personal Messages (PM's) sent to you via the forum.

May be someone already tried to contact you regarding the translation process. B)

Thomas,

What I would do is open TMG to the language customization screen and just work my way down the list. I am assuming that you are wanting a word for word translation, so you could use a text translator to put in the English word and then type in the Swedish word.

Hi!

Yes, I'm aware of that method. But I'm trying to do the translation in a faster way.

Currently I extract the text with a homegrown program into a text file which I translate using a language translation program (plus some manual translations). After that I "refit" the language file to TMG. It works most of the way (TMG shows up translated) but I get some error messages when starting TMG and also in some submenus.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thomas