Neil Grantham

Microsoft Mappoint

Mappoint is the technology behind Microsoft's online mapping servce Live Local. Are you referring to Live Local, or to the desktop program?

If you are referring to the online tool, there are a couple ways to use that terchnology.

You can use TMG's "Place Mapping" feature to locate places using a variety of mapping services, including Live Local. I don't think Live Local is included in the default services, but you can customize the place mapping feature to include it.

In the next version of TMG Utility, which I expect to release later this month, you can export your master place list. You can export to HTML format, and include links from each place to either Google or Live Local. The accuracy of the maps will depend on a number of factors, including how you entered the data, how detailed the map information is for the given area, etc.

I am not sure how you could use the desktop version of MapPoint, mostly because I don't know anything about that product. If you can import a list of places, then I bet we can arrange for TMG Utility to export a suitable data file. If you can point (deliberate pun) me to online import specs for MapPoint, I'll take a look and see if I can modify the place export feature to support it.

Mappoint is the technology behind Microsoft's online mapping servce Live Local. Are you referring to Live Local, or to the desktop program?

I am not sure how you could use the desktop version of MapPoint, mostly because I don't know anything about that product. If you can import a list of places, then I bet we can arrange for TMG Utility to export a suitable data file. If you can point (deliberate pun) me to online import specs for MapPoint, I'll take a look and see if I can modify the place export feature to support it.

Hi John,

I have the Desktop version of Mappoint, it will Import XLS, TXT and CSV files to name but a few.

See this MS page Using Mappoint and Excel which gives an example of analysing Sales data.

I'm sure if somehow you could output something in TMG or your Utility with stats of where people in your project lived it could work

I tried exporting Excel data from TMG, but it created lots of files, all of which crash my version of Excel (Beta 2007)

Neil,

I suspect that you tried to export your TMG data to Excel, in which case you'd get a lot of files, one for each of the tables in a TMG Project database. What you should try instead is to send a List of Events report to a CVS/Excel file. Using the List of Events report will limit the output to a single file. Include the person's name, event date, and place as columns in the report. Then try to import that into MapPoint. You might have to put the place in column 1, it depends on what the MapPoint import wizard allows/expects. I am not sure what MapPoint will do with the person's name and the event date, but it will be interesting to find out!

I'm intriqued by MapPoint, but not enough to shell out $300 to buy it.