patsy

Reports - Controlling page margins?

Is it possible to set a Journal Report, for example, to have 1" page margins? When I print my report, there are .5" margins. It matters because it changes the number of pages and, therefore, changes your index, when you increase the margins.

Thanks for any help!

Is it possible to set a Journal Report, for example, to have 1" page margins? When I print my report, there are .5" margins. It matters because it changes the number of pages and, therefore, changes your index, when you increase the margins.

Thanks for any help!

Good Luck. I asked for essentially the same thing (changeable margins) regarding narrative reports (the subject is further down the first page topic list). From the reaction I got, I would say such a thing isn't available.

Thanks for any help!

If you are printing to a word processor and then changing the margins in the word processor when you generate the index it will be correct. If you have generated the index before changing the margins, regenerate it after changing the margins. TMG does not generate the index when sending to a word processor but rather marks the entries so the word processor can generate the index.

Within TMG you can set the left/right margins to be .5 or 1 inch. In the report definition, under Print to: change to Printer to activate the Properties button, click on Properties and change the margins. .5 and 1.0 are the only options available for left/right margins, top/bottom margins can only be .5. Close the Properties, reset your Print to: to file for the word processor and the report generated will reflect the margin settings under Prooperties.

If you are printing to a word processor and then changing the margins in the word processor when you generate the index it will be correct. If you have generated the index before changing the margins, regenerate it after changing the margins. TMG does not generate the index when sending to a word processor but rather marks the entries so the word processor can generate the index.

Within TMG you can set the left/right margins to be .5 or 1 inch. In the report definition, under Print to: change to Printer to activate the Properties button, click on Properties and change the margins. .5 and 1.0 are the only options available for left/right margins, top/bottom margins can only be .5. Close the Properties, reset your Print to: to file for the word processor and the report generated will reflect the margin settings under Prooperties.

Excellent information & thank you very much. It's great to find out that changing the margins in my word processor doesn't mess up the index! I'll also change the side margins in the printer.

Thanks, again.

Good Luck. I asked for essentially the same thing (changeable margins) regarding narrative reports (the subject is further down the first page topic list). From the reaction I got, I would say such a thing isn't available.

Thanks for your post. Read the one below yours for more information. You can change the L and R page margins and if you run the index AFTER you fix up your report, the index will be correct.

Thanks for your post. Read the one below yours for more information. You can change the L and R page margins and if you run the index AFTER you fix up your report, the index will be correct.

That works for your situation. I was looking for flexible control of margins for extended quotes within a report, not for an entire report. Essentially, what I wanted to do was change the margins, to, say, 2" for a specific quote (which might even be a couple paragraphs). For me, this is to put the text of an obituary within a report and distinguish it from the surrounding text, more than what using italics alone would do. I was also trying to do this within TMG, not outputting to any word processor.

That works for your situation. I was looking for flexible control of margins for extended quotes within a report, not for an entire report. Essentially, what I wanted to do was change the margins, to, say, 2" for a specific quote (which might even be a couple paragraphs). For me, this is to put the text of an obituary within a report and distinguish it from the surrounding text, more than what using italics alone would do. I was also trying to do this within TMG, not outputting to any word processor.

You can't do blockquotes in TMG, but you can set the blockquote by selecting the desired text, like an obit, in your word processor and then move the left & right margins to where you want them.

So, you set the overall page margins to whatever you want, and then you can use the rulers at the top (in Word) to set up the blockquotes. The blockquotes look much nicer than just indenting more on the left (but not right margins). Also, using the rulers helps to avoid formatting problems.

Hope this helps.

You can't do blockquotes in TMG, but you can set the blockquote by selecting the desired text, like an obit, in your word processor and then move the left & right margins to where you want them.

So, you set the overall page margins to whatever you want, and then you can use the rulers at the top (in Word) to set up the blockquotes. The blockquotes look much nicer than just indenting more on the left (but not right margins). Also, using the rulers helps to avoid formatting problems.

Hope this helps.

I'm quite well versed in MS Word, so I know how to do it there. My goal was to do it within TMG. Guess that's a no-go for the moment.