Susanna

Problem with Souce Type not changing

I have had a break from family history for a while. I now have more time and plan to organise my sources and enter them into TMG.

I set up a "test" project and experimented. I now want to enter some census into my main project. I have changed the preference Custom Source from Mills to Custom but it does not show up in the Source Type list - it is still showing as Mills. I was however able to make this change with my "test" project. All I can think of is that when I did the initial change to the UK edition, all those years ago, I did something wrong. On the source types screen it says that the project is Combine imported on 04 Jul 2002.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as I am keen to start entering and cleaning up the data but can't!

Regards,

Susanna Greenwood

Sydney

When you go back to Preferences now, what Source Category does it say is in use? In the Source Types screen, does the Add button appear?

I assume that the reason you want to change to Custom is so you can Add new source types?

Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

I have just opened the program and the problem is fixed. I don't know why I didn't think of closing and reopening yesterday. I had closed and reopened the project but not TMG.

What I had was the Preferences saying Custom but no Add button on Source Types - it must have got confused. Some time ago I had added Caroline Gurney's UK Sources and I wanted to use them. I actually had forgotten that I had done this but realised when I opened my test project and there they were.

I would like to also thank you for your web site which I have looked at many times over the last few weeks whilst trying to get my head around how I would like to enter my data and file my sources. I chose TMG many years ago because I liked the flexibility but it is now making me think....

Regards,

Susanna

When you go back to Preferences now, what Source Category does it say is in use? In the Source Types screen, does the Add button appear?

I assume that the reason you want to change to Custom is so you can Add new source types?

Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome, Susanna.

I have just opened the program and the problem is fixed. I don't know why I didn't think of closing and reopening yesterday.

That sometimes seems to work. :)

I would like to also thank you for your web site which I have looked at many times over the last few weeks whilst trying to get my head around how I would like to enter my data and file my sources.

You're welcome, again.

I chose TMG many years ago because I liked the flexibility but it is now making me think....

Yes, it will certainly do that. :)

Some time ago I had added Caroline Gurney's UK Sources and I wanted to use them. I actually had forgotten that I had done this but realised when I opened my test project and there they were.

Susanna,

If you have the UK version of TMG then my source types are included in the program - there is no need to add them. In fact, the UK version includes some extra source types which are not available in the download from Lee's TMG tips website. As discussed on the cruise, Lee and I both need to amend our websites to make this clear.

Caroline