Neil Grantham

Filter Group problem

Hello

I was trying, via help I found on the Forums, to create a Filter Group to be able to create a new Project for just my wife's side of the family

So, I used the FG filter as follows:

ID Number =Equal 2:1834 (My wife) END

OK so far, that shows two entries - her maiden and married names.

so I then changed it to:

ID Number =Equal 2:1834 AND

Is an Ancestor or Descendant of ID# 2:1834 END

This gives me a window saying there are 12 people but when I OK this the FG Window is empty!

Using TMG 6.12 UK Gold

IF! I get this to work (With your help), is this the best way to create another project (Via List of People report)

How can I get to show more than 12 (IE her Uncle's/Aunt's families etc.

Thanks

Neil

PS I have used the maintenance options on the current project, and recently re-installed due to another problem

Edited by Neil Grantham

Neil,

I'm confused about what you are trying to do. Are you trying to use both filters and the Focus Group? They are separate ways of selecting a group of people. You can use either, but not together.

A filtered group will allow you to include a person and their ancestors and/or descendants. If you use a filter like:

Is an Ancestor of ID# 2:1834

and then below add Descendants you can also get the sibling and their descendants. But you won't get the spouses of those siblings and their descendants. To do that requires a temporary flag and multiple steps.

Alternately, you could use the Focus Group. First, add you wife to the FG. Select her, check the Ancestors and/or Descendants options, and click the Add Others button to add her ancestors and/or descendants. Click Select All and add descendants to get siblings and cousins. Click Select All, and then add Spouses to get the spouses of the cousins. Click Select All and add Ancestors to get the parents of the spouses (caution, when you do this, either limit the number of generations, or use Ctrl-Click to unselect yourself, or you will get all your ancestors, which you were trying to avoid.)

Neil,

I'm confused about what you are trying to do. Are you trying to use both filters and the Focus Group? They are separate ways of selecting a group of people. You can use either, but not together.

A filtered group will allow you to include a person and their ancestors and/or descendants. If you use a filter like:

Is an Ancestor of ID# 2:1834

and then below add Descendants you can also get the sibling and their descendants. But you won't get the spouses of those siblings and their descendants. To do that requires a temporary flag and multiple steps.

Alternately, you could use the Focus Group. First, add you wife to the FG. Select her, check the Ancestors and/or Descendants options, and click the Add Others button to add her ancestors and/or descendants. Click Select All and add descendants to get siblings and cousins. Click Select All, and then add Spouses to get the spouses of the cousins. Click Select All and add Ancestors to get the parents of the spouses (caution, when you do this, either limit the number of generations, or use Ctrl-Click to unselect yourself, or you will get all your ancestors, which you were trying to avoid.)

Terry, brilliant thanks.

I thought I'd used the FG in the manner I listed before. Obviously not!

Created my project a treat.

Thanks again