gratop

Accents disappeared

Several of my newer, custom accents disappeared from the Accent window. They are not listed if I look at Load, nor can I find them in a search for *.acc on my hard drive. The basic, older ones are still there. I restored my backup of this past Thursday (from a flash drive) to a different computer and it was not there, either. Based on who I was working on the past few days, I would not have noticed the accents missing, so I'm not sure when they would have disappeared. Nor do I understand why they would disappear. I have been trying to make a list of the things and people I have worked on in the past three weeks (since the accents were originally created) to be sure nothing else is missing. To be honest, this has put me in a bit of a funk, coupled with worry that I may be losing data from the program and not realizing it. Fortunately, the notes I was working from are all still in a pile on a shelf, but that does help with the other issues like place cleanup, source cleanup, etc. The version I had installed was 6.09.

Can someone explain why the accents would just disappear after they had been in use for two weeks? I could understand if they were gone the same day I created them, but not after they had been in use for a few weeks.

Are there any reports that I can run that shows last edited date for people, for sources, and for citations?

Are there any reports that I can run that shows last edited date for people, for sources, and for citations?[/font]

Have you changed directories? Have you tried a file Explorer search for files ending in .acc?

To get a list of all people edited since date x, run a List of People report with a filtered group

Last Edited Date > (comes after) x

not sure about sources or citations, but I really doubt you've lost anything at all

Have you changed directories? Have you tried a file Explorer search for files ending in .acc?

To get a list of all people edited since date x, run a List of People report with a filtered group

Last Edited Date > (comes after) x

not sure about sources or citations, but I really doubt you've lost anything at all

I did run the Last Edited Report for people, I have a gap of 6 days and I'm not sure if I did nothing to people during those days or not. And yes, as I said in the original post, I did a complete search of the hard drive for *.acc files and found only the ones that had been active for a long time. Its baffling to me that they just disppeared.

Kathryn

I did run the Last Edited Report for people, I have a gap of 6 days and I'm not sure if I did nothing to people during those days or not. And yes, as I said in the original post, I did a complete search of the hard drive for *.acc files and found only the ones that had been active for a long time. Its baffling to me that they just disppeared.

Kathryn

It is baffling. I can't recall any previous reports of missing accents. The only simple explanation I can think of is one you would have caught pretty quickly - say you were working on a restored copy of a project which predated the new accents. This would be more likely to happen with a user who moves a project back and forth between laptop and desktop and loses track of which copy of the project is current.

By any chance did you have occasion to Copy the Project - and perhaps the accents were not copied over?

When you searched for *.acc files, did the search include subfolders and compressed files?

Virginia

It is baffling. I can't recall any previous reports of missing accents. The only simple explanation I can think of is one you would have caught pretty quickly - say you were working on a restored copy of a project which predated the new accents. This would be more likely to happen with a user who moves a project back and forth between laptop and desktop and loses track of which copy of the project is current.

By any chance did you have occasion to Copy the Project - and perhaps the accents were not copied over?

When you searched for *.acc files, did the search include subfolders and compressed files?

Virginia

I chatted with Phil in support and it does appear that I am unique <big grin>. I have backed up the updated project from my main computer to a flash drive and then to a laptop, but never the reverse. The laptop is used strictly for reference at the FHC, and I don't update it at the library, I need paper copies. Yeah, I know, extra work.

The search was through all files. The flags that the accents were attached to are intact, and the few people that got flagged are still flagged, just not accented. I will recreate the accents and check them daily, to see if they decide to hang around this time.