hollyflewin

New Computer for Christmas

Many will probably be buying new computers for Christmas.

Which includes me!

Is there a step-by-step proper process for transferring TMG program and user files from old machine to new machine?

What we need when we reload TMG. Serial number and email address that you registered the original machine, right?

What user files need to be included. Will a full back up cover everything?

Attachments, pictures, pdf's, does a full backup pull that too?

If there is a link to the process, could someone post it or email it to me?

Thanks

and happy early holidays

:D

Many will probably be buying new computers for Christmas.

Which includes me!

Is there a step-by-step proper process for transferring TMG program and user files from old machine to new machine?

What we need when we reload TMG. Serial number and email address that you registered the original machine, right?

What user files need to be included. Will a full back up cover everything?

Attachments, pictures, pdf's, does a full backup pull that too?

If there is a link to the process, could someone post it or email it to me?

Thanks

and happy early holidays

:D

Congratulations on a new computer! I upgraded last month - earlier than I had planned but I figured I'd get more genealogy work done if I stayed with WinXP rather than having to learn WinVista on next year's computers.

I thought the TMG Help file covered everything pretty well, between the Backup and Restore sections. Be sure and read the red Warning in the Restore section. As you said, you will need your v6 serial number and the same email address as when you bought it. I went to the Wholly Genes website and downloaded the v6 trial version directly to the new computer and installed and registered it without a problem.

When I move to a new computer, I usually hold on to the old computer for a while to make sure I've got everything off that I need, and this time I networked it to the new computer - which really simplified the move. In this case it allowed me to use my old parallel-port laserjet printer networked until I could find a mini-centronics adapter and usb cable to use with the new computer. This is the first computer I've bought since they stopped including parallel ports and the old PC keyboard/mouse connectors.

Good luck with the move -

Virginia

When I move to a new computer, I usually hold on to the old computer for a while to make sure I've got everything off that I need, and this time I networked it to the new computer - which really simplified the move. In this case it allowed me to use my old parallel-port laserjet printer networked until I could find a mini-centronics adapter and usb cable to use with the new computer. This is the first computer I've bought since they stopped including parallel ports and the old PC keyboard/mouse connectors.
You must have bought something like a Dell?

I work in IT, and we can buy in ready built PC's, and mostly custom build for our customers. We still use motherboards that have parallel and PS2 (keyboard/mouse) ports as well as the modern USB varieties, so that customers can use old equipment like printers.

So don't necessarily get 'scared' by thinking you might need to buy a new printer etc.