maryiwright

Is there a quick way to edit dates on census records

:question: I have entered many of my UK census records with just the year or month and year as the sort date. Is there any way to change the sort date for all events of the same type as I would like to change these to the actual enumeration date?

:question: I have entered many of my UK census records with just the year or month and year as the sort date. Is there any way to change the sort date for all events of the same type as I would like to change these to the actual enumeration date?

I haven't tried this myself but it looks like TMG Utilities find and replace feature might work. The catch her is that it will find every even with just say 1981 as a sort date and depending on how TMG records date with years only it may be very difficult to find. In my opinion it looks easier to adjust them by hand, at least that's what I tell myself as I've been going back and adding the day into many UK census tags myself.

In the latest version of TMG Utility you can do Find and Replace operations on dates. You can limit the change to a specific type of event. I ran a test where I had:

Field: Event Sort Date (Regular only)  Find what: 1880  Replace with: 1 jun 1880  In Events: Census1880  Contents must match exactly: True

And the result was:

-------------------P1, Event Sort Date#919, '1880', '01 Jun 1880' (R)#5484, '1880', '01 Jun 1880' (R)#8404, '1880', '01 Jun 1880' (R)#10786, '1880', '01 Jun 1880' (R)#20992, '1880', '01 Jun 1880' (R)

You have to be careful to set the options as I have them above. The "Contents must match exactly" checkbox shoudl be checked, or you'll change dates that include a month and day already.

Obviously, you have to change the year, the replacement date, and the event type based on the particular census and it's enumeration date.

Does this help?

Is there a way to say:

If the Date is X, then change the sort date to Y?

For instance, if the date is 01 Jun 1880, then change the sort date to 02 Jun 1880?

Sorry, Teresa, there isn't. If you change the Date field, you can automatically copy the date value to the sort date field, but that's the only intra-field capability in the Find and Replace feature.

What I was really wanted would be even more complicated. What I would like is a way to say if the date of event one is X, set Event two's sort date to Z.

I finally got my sort dates on the censuses fixed the way I wanted them. I made the name tag the day before the census enumeration date, the census tag the day of and the census image tag the day after, so regardless of the date the census taker came, the tags show in the PV as Name-Tag, Census, Census-Image. Thanks John. This would have taken me forever one at a time.