Neil Grantham

Backup location

Does TMG write the backup location to your project backup?

I created a new project on my laptop, and "My Documents" is in a user called '1' and I backup to a folder called 'Family History'

I did a full Backup (customisations etc) to save my accents and the like

On my PC "My Documents" is in 'Neil' and again I have a folder called 'Family History'

So I restored the laptop project, all was OK

I then did a backup on the PC when I was done, and it re-created the laptop path (C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\Family History)

Is this correct behaviour?

I don't recall this happening in prior versions to 6.12

Neil

Is that the backup location you set in the project preferences on the laptop - and is it still set to that path on the PC?

If you have any other path differences between the laptop and the PC - say in tmg's supplemental folders like projects and exhibits - you will want to check out the warning in Help > Restore > Section 3 so you don't run into any problems there.

Virginia

Does TMG write the backup location to your project backup?

Hi, Neil,

if I am not totally wrong here I would say YES it does.

You might want to check it as follows:

The backup file originally has the file extension ".sqz" and it's a compressed - say Ziped - file.

Temporarily rename it to "xxx_.zip" and when you double click on this file i.e. WinZip will show you all those different files contained in the backup.

Part of that "file list" you'll find a file named "xxx_.PJC" copy that file i.e. to your desktop and just open it with a texteditor only!!

Here you'll find a section [Advanced] and within this section there's an entry "BackupsDirectory=xxx" which shows the backup path as set in TMG's preferences under Current project options > Advanced.

And please don't forget to rename the zip-file back to "xxx_.sqz". ;)

Hope this helps.

Is that the backup location you set in the project preferences on the laptop - and is it still set to that path on the PC?

If you have any other path differences between the laptop and the PC - say in tmg's supplemental folders like projects and exhibits - you will want to check out the warning in Help > Restore > Section 3 so you don't run into any problems there.

Virginia

Yes, I set the Backup location on both machines to be c:\documents and settings\<loginid>\Family History or in other words, from the selector 'My Documents>Family History'

I'd never seen the Preferences settings on Page 3 of the Wizards before, as I tend to only backup the project.

On this occasion it was a New Project for my wife's family so I backed up customisations too.

I 'think' I've done that before in previous versions of TMG without this problem!