alacrityrose

Adding Captions or Text Boxes to Ancestor Chart

I would like to be able to add text boxes with extra information and captions to pictures on an Ancestor Chart. I found the button that allows me to add text, but I don't seem to be able to change the size of the text box - the box just keeps getting wider and wider as I type. Hitting enter doesn't start a new line. If I click on the box and change its size, the text doesn't reformat to fit the new box size. Am I missing something? Thanks! :(

I would like to be able to add text boxes with extra information and captions to pictures on an Ancestor Chart. I found the button that allows me to add text, but I don't seem to be able to change the size of the text box - the box just keeps getting wider and wider as I type. Hitting enter doesn't start a new line. If I click on the box and change its size, the text doesn't reformat to fit the new box size. Am I missing something? Thanks! :(

There is a more elegant way.

But what I do is:

1. select the title text in the upper corner

2. edit > copy

3. edit > paste, then move copy to desired location

4. right click on new text > detailed properties:

a. set text font style and desired color

b. set box properties, if desired (I often don't want a box, if you do, un-check transparent)

5. select and edit your new text.

You may change box or text boundries shape and edit text as desired, "new lines" will be automatically generated or removed by VCF.

Experiment, it's fun.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Edited by Mike Talbot

By default the text box creared by the "A" button on the tool bar has its right-click > Properties > Text tab "Multiple Lines" unchecked. Check this to make multiple lines possible.

Once this has been set, entering a CTRL+J in the Text field will give a line break point.