Nick Shelley

Memo font control

In a Descendant Indented Narrative report, for example, if you set the narrative memo to a non-proportional font like Courier, what controls the font for the included Endnote memos or citation details?

Nick Shelley

I have since realised that the Citation Detail now has its own memo field which I have never used as I have been importing my project from 4.0d. So in this description below, when I talk about the CD memo field I must really be talking about the CD itself?

Problem 1:

The reason why I asked this question was this: when I have raw unanalysed information, say the contents of a will or an inventory of someone's estate made for probate, I tend to put this in the citation detail where it prints out in the Endnotes (as [CD]). Occasionally some of this info needs a columnar or tabbed arrangement (as you might get when a list of objects is made and their value is shown at the right side of the page). Someone helpfully suggested that if you wanted a columnar setting use a non-proportional font like Courier. That's fine if you are using the normal Memo field but my interest was in the citation detail field.

So far as I can see, setting the memo field font to Courier in the report definition does not affect the citation detail font. However I can, in my Source Type definitions, specify that the [CD] field is turned to the Memo field font using the printer control [fontM:]text[:FONTM] but this approach forces all my memos in a report and all my [CD] fields of one Source Type (say, Probate inventory) to adopt the Courier font whereas I really only want to turn on the Courier font on those occasions when a columnar output is needed and here only in the CD. Any ideas?

Problem 2:

I have been experimenting with the [fontM] option in the Source Type definition for the probate inventory source but it does not seem to have any effect on the print out of the endnote. The Source Type endnote sentence reads:

Probate inventory for the estate of [iTAL:][TESTATOR][:ITAL] was proven at [REGISTER] on [COMPILE DATE]{<: [iTAL:][fontM:][CD][:FONTM][:ITAL]>}<. (Extracted by [sOLICITOR], [sOLICITOR LOCATION]).>

So I must assume that this printer code does not work in the Source Type sentence or that the introduction of a specific CD memo field has changed how things should be approached.

Instead I put these printer codes round the CD text for the specific inventory tag but this too seems to have no effect on the print out.

What am I doing wrong?

Nick Shelley

In a Descendant Indented Narrative report, for example, if you set the narrative memo to a non-proportional font like Courier, what controls the font for the included Endnote memos or citation details?

I have since realised that the Citation Detail now has its own memo field which I have never used as I have been importing my project from 4.0d. So in this description below, when I talk about the CD memo field I must really be talking about the CD itself?

The Citation screen now has 3 text fields:

- Citation Detail - by default prints as part of source notes. It's intended for details about how the source supports this particular tag, such as page numbers, notes about how the information in the source relates to what's recorded in the tag, etc.

- Citation Memo - new in TMG6 as I recall. It's not include in source notes by default, but can be by adding the [CM] source element to the output template. It was added mainly for those that wanted a place to record the actual text from a source, but can be used for anything the user finds helpful.

- Reference - is a fixed length field, intended for a reference number, say a personally number that identifies the source in a users file system. It's not included in source notes, but can be by adding the [CREF] source element to the output template.

Problem 1:

Someone helpfully suggested that if you wanted a columnar setting use a non-proportional font like Courier. That's fine if you are using the normal Memo field but my interest was in the citation detail field.

So far as I can see, setting the memo field font to Courier in the report definition does not affect the citation detail font. However I can, in my Source Type definitions, specify that the [CD] field is turned to the Memo field font using the printer control [fontM:]text[:FONTM] but this approach forces all my memos in a report and all my [CD] fields of one Source Type (say, Probate inventory) to adopt the Courier font whereas I really only want to turn on the Courier font on those occasions when a columnar output is needed and here only in the CD.

Seems to me you have covered all the available options, and the drawbacks to them save one... sending the report to a word processor and changing the font there. You could add a unique string of characters which you could search on in the word processor. You could even automate that process with a Macro in the word processor if you have this often enough to make it worthwhile.

Problem 2:

I have been experimenting with the [fontM] option in the Source Type definition for the probate inventory source but it does not seem to have any effect on the print out of the endnote.

The fact that those codes do not appear on the right-click menu in the template fields says that they are not supported there, as your test demonstrates.

Instead I put these printer codes round the CD text for the specific inventory tag but this too seems to have no effect on the print out.

The font code [fontM:] doesn't work in the CD field? I thought you said above that it did??