Derek Baker

TMG keeps trying to instal v. 12

Some time ago TMG UK Gold 6.12 was installed via upgrade from v.11 (set to check for update every 3 days).

On start up it says TMG 6.12 is the current version.

Now every few days I get told 'Good news TMG version 12 is now available.'

It connects says the download size is 0b and then makes like it is doing an upgrade and then closes.

On re starting TMG it is then OK for a few days, until it looks for an upgrade, then it does it again.

Is there any way of knowing if I have really got v. 12 and if so how can I make it stop trying to do this phantom update?

Thanks

Derek

To find the version number you are running, look in Help > About The Master Genealogist. If you set the check-for-update time in Preferences to 0 days, it should stop the update routine. The updates are widely announced - newletter, message manager, mailing list - so you're likely to hear about an update quickly.

Virginia

I hope this was meant as a temporary solution until the real problem is found? :D It seems to me that the solution is not to disable the automatic update, but rather fix the problem so that if the program is updated, it silently does nothing instead of displaying that confusing message to the user. Guiding the user to a newsletter, when the automatic update is a program option defeats the whole purpose of an automatic update option in my mind!

Ken.

To find the version number you are running, look in Help > About The Master Genealogist. If you set the check-for-update time in Preferences to 0 days, it should stop the update routine. The updates are widely announced - newletter, message manager, mailing list - so you're likely to hear about an update quickly.

Virginia

I hope this was meant as a temporary solution until the real problem is found? :D It seems to me that the solution is not to disable the automatic update, but rather fix the problem so that if the program is updated, it silently does nothing instead of displaying that confusing message to the user. Guiding the user to a newsletter, when the automatic update is a program option defeats the whole purpose of an automatic update option in my mind!

Ken.

Yes, that was intended as a workaround for his present situation. Are you seeing the same problem?

Virginia

Yes, I have the same problem, but I disabled the automatic updates only because updates are very infrequent, and since I frequent this board almost on a daily basis, the feature isn't really vital to me anyway.

Ken.

Yes, that was intended as a workaround for his present situation. Are you seeing the same problem?

Virginia

Check the app.ini file in the TMG program folder.

This setting should be present:

[PatchEngine]

PatchFile=http://www.whollygenes.com/files/upgrades/tmg612.ini

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

It's not a real problem for me either, more of a nuisance when it says there is an upgrade that isn't.

My app.ini file has this entry

[PatchEngine]

PatchFile=http://www.whollygenes.com/files/upgrades/tmg612_uk.ini

So it should know it's on v 12.

I'll live with it until the next version before I decide to disable the auto update unless some one figures out why.

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one that it happens to.

Thanks

Derek